Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > big doubt    

big doubt

napster
Costa Rica

big doubt

hey, look at this question, I know about passive and active vocabulary , I am notm sure, I need help

1.       Which of the following words would you not teach beginners? Why?

Orange   table   car   pilot   pocket   girlfriend   companion   spaghetti   undertaker  angry  conductor

18 Aug 2010      

lshorton99
China

This is an interesting question!

- I would teach �orange � to a beginner - colours are basic.
- I would teach table and car - things
- I would teach pilot, undertaker and conductor - jobs
- I would teach spaghetti - food
- I would teach angry - simple adjectives
- I would teach pocket and girlfriend - they are words which might come up in everyday conversation

Therefore, I would choose �companion � on this list. It �s not a commonly used English word so beginners probably wouldn �t need it.

I �d be interested to hear other theories though!

Lindsey

18 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

Ditto.

Sue

18 Aug 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I wouldn �t teach the following words to beginners:

undertaker, conductor, companion (these 3 are rarely used and definitely not suitable or beginners) and possibly spaghetti (difficult spelling)

BTW, I don�t think the question limits us to just one answer.

18 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I agree with Philip on this one.

I don�t teach the word "spaghetti" to beginners, either. Most of my ss know it anyway, so I prefer to teach them the term "noodles".

18 Aug 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

It �s interesting. When I was teaching elementary school (5 year olds), it was always the �interest � words that they retained, eg �helicopter � rather than the �sight � words eg �run � or �the �.
Really it is best to teach them the words that they need to complete any given task, whatever that may be.

18 Aug 2010