Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help plz.    

Help plz.

Noel L
Japan

Help plz.

Greetings.

Why do we say

"The Golden Gate Bridge" or "The Eiffel Tower" but ...
"London Bridge" or "Tokyo Tower" ?

and ...

"The White House" but "Buckingham Palace" ?

Whats the rule plz for using "the � when referring to structures/buildings.

Thanks in anticipation.

Noel.

18 Aug 2010      

SueThom
United States

The use of the definite article with place names is very complex and I �ve yet to see a good rule (or list of rules) that doesn �t have a ton of exceptions.

With some locations, there is a sort of logic, e.g. I doubt there are very many Buckingham Palaces around, but there are an awful lot of white houses, so to distinguish the one in which the US President lives, it makes sense to use the definite article.

From what I �ve read, "the" is used with most hotels, museums, theaters, and art galleries, but is usually not used in the titles of the principal public buildings of a town when the title begins with the town name. However, much usage varies so widely as to defy any attempt to determine a rule (e.g. names of less important institutions).

Because of this, rather than risk having the students get frustrated trying to memorize a series of rules and lists (which have a fairly low value in terms of increasing their communication skills), some instructors present the material briefly�but don �t test extensively on it�and suggest students may want to determine the place names they use most frequently and learn the appropriate format for those. Over time, this list should expand.

That said, if sometime has a nice, accurate, easy-to-remember list, I �d love to find out about it!

Sue

18 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Noel

Is this general rule of any use?

We normally use the with buildings, except if the first word is the name of a place.
The White House, The Sheraton Hotel.
Oxford University, Buckingham Palace.

It�s from here.  Mind you, Buckingham Palace is not in the place called Buckingham, plus,  it was actually named after a person so it doesn�t quite fit the rule. 

You�ll find a different explanation in Murphy�s English Grammar in Use Intermediate.  He says
Use no article when it is the name of a person e.g. Kennedy Airport, Cambridge University
Use the  when it is not the name of a person e.g. The White House, The Royal Palace  
He does say it is a general rule and that there are exceptions.  Actually, his unit on this is quite comprehensive and a good reference for students.

Cheers

Jayho

18 Aug 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
Jayho �s explanation is very complete, however if we follow the rule we should say "Eiffel Tower" since Eiffel was the man who built the Eiffel Tower... sure there are exceptions and it �s great that Noel L brought up this topic!!!
have a nice day ;)

18 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Elo, I am glad you mention that because last year I did indeed have problems with "Buckingham Palace" myself. My feeling told me: no "the", but there are tons of (semi-) official sites that use the deifinite acticle here.....

Making a list of more examples that are exceptions would be most helpful to a lot of us, I think.

Regards

18 Aug 2010