Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day    

Word of the day

mariannina
Italy

Hi, I can �t post, there are some ads that stick to my message. I �m trying to get rid of them. I �m back as soon as possible Ermm
Ciao

18 Aug 2010     

Fessor
Austria

Here is the explanation from http://www.yourdictionary.com/wotd/blandiloquent:

Part of Speech: adjective

Pronunciation: [bl�n- �di-l�-qw�nt]

Definition: Smooth-talking, honey-tongued; flattering.

Usage: When today �s word was last used, it, too, had acquired the pejorative sense of "smooth-talking," "Some blandiloquent used-car salesman convinced Millicent to buy a 1986 Chevy with 150,000 miles on it." However, since we must revive it, we might just as well revive it as a neutral term, "Bridget is so easily attracted to blandiloquent men that we don �t let her go out with subscribers to yourDictionary �s Word of the Day."

Suggested Usage: Today �s word is another tottering on the brink of extinction�most dictionaries have already given up on it. The Oxford English Dictionary has retained the noun, "blandiloquence," and an adjectival cousin, "blandiloquous." We need to retain this word, however, if for no other reason than it sounds better than "smooth-talking."

Etymology: Today �s is another case of lexical larceny by Mother English, this time of Latin blandiloquentia "smooth-talking," a compound composed of blandus "soft" + loquor "to talk," whose verbal noun is loquentia "talking, talk." Oddly enough, the PIE root underlying bland- is *mol- "soft" (cf. Italian molle "soft") in the usual three ablaut flavors, including *mel- and *ml-. The word-initial combination [ml] sometimes became [bl] in Latin and Greek, hence Latin "blandus" with a suffix �nd. In Greek we find malakos "soft," in Serbian, mlad "young," and in Russian molodoy "young." English inherited this root through the Germanic languages as "melt" and "mild."

18 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Thanks to all who played
Most of you were almost right. And some of you were completely right. Excellent
As we have the answer in full, we can call this one quits.
Thanks to Fessor for posting the full answer and thus saving me the trouble.Wink
Another word of the day tomorrow.

18 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Fessor that was what I wanted to post Smile

In Italian we use a lot the verb "blandish" in the meaning either of to soothe or to flatter.
Ciao

18 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Maybe some people would like to prepare for Frank �s next word? ;o))))

18 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@Fessor and mariannina

No, no, no! I was the first one to send the link to this explanation!! The two of you were much too late.

Wink

18 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Yes Lina, you are right, but I was making biscuits and I almost burnt them! LOL
Yummy, they taste good!
Ciao

18 Aug 2010     

Fessor
Austria

Hi Lina Ladybird,

Yes, you are, of course, right. You were the first to post the link.
I was just putting the complete entry on the forum. Wink

18 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

Great game - I look forward to the next one!

Lindsey

18 Aug 2010     

lamyaa
Egypt

enjoyable !! :))

18 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2