Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you call it???    

How do you call it???

Ju Madeiro
Brazil

How do you call it???

Helloo there,

How do you call this game and how can I use it in my classes?

Thanks for you help,

18 Aug 2010      

donapeter
Romania

"Pick-a-stick" 

18 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

We called it "pick-up-sticks" or "spillikins". I �m not sure how you would use it though in class, maybe to teach colours, or prepositions of place?

18 Aug 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello
I used to use them to teach numbers, this way.
I had them of several colours and each colour represented a number. ( It �s better you write it on the board )
Let �s us
yellow= 1
Red =2
black 3

and so on, as many colours as you have.

Then I had a set of four  cards with Maths signs ( +, /, - , * ), for basic operations.

Each time they moved one stick, they picked a card and they had to do a Maths operation.

In the end the winner was the one with more points.

Little ones used to find it funny.

Linda

18 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I have no idea what the name is, but you can use it to teach colours (show them, have them close their eyes, remove one stick, have them open eyes and tell you what �s missing), or have them make shapes (teach triangle, square, rectangle), and basic maths naturally. You can also have them practise spelling if you have lots of those sticks - have them make letters, or you make letters and have them spell. Depending what they �re made of and if they �re firm enough, you can use them as drumsticks and the desk as the drum and have them beat it to the rhythm of a rhyme or poem.

18 Aug 2010