Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary help needed    

vocabulary help needed

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@ Silke, what scaaaary creatures in your first link! But what an interesting reading�Thumbs Up

@ Moravc, the more I think about it the more I agree with the water goblin term. Thank for giving me such a convincing proof. But still, this conversation is revealing that this figure of the fantasy world wouldn �t be an appropriate part of my new ws Cry�I could only cause a confusion in the children �s minds

18 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I agree with Moravc that water goblin sounds better than water sprite, especially as that �s how English people translate Dvorak �s Vodnik, and for me the image of a goblin is much closer to vodnik than sprite:)

In Australia we have the Bunyip, which people still occasionally claim to meet - though they most likely had more alcohol than they should have;D

I hope no one is put off going swimming after this discussion hehe...

18 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@Mish

I �ve only just seen your question regarding the term "Hastrman(n). It could be of German origin, however, I �ve never heard or read it anywhere before, and I read a lot!! ;)

BUT we have the word "Wassermann" in the German language. Literally translated, it would be "waterman" in English...

I think that "Hastrmann" and "Wassermann" do sound similar, so sulekra might be right, but I �m not 100 % sure.

BTW, I can �t think of any other German expressions for a creature like the one you were describing in your initial post.

18 Aug 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@ Sulekra "In Australia we have the Bunyip, which people still occasionally claim to meet - though they most likely had more alcohol than they should have;D"�LOL

Fed up with water here in the north of the Czech RepublicCry. BTW: May I ask where you teach?

18 Aug 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@ Silke. We also you "unterwassermann" in Czech�LOL

18 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I agree with Mish and sulekra that Jana �s (moravc �s) suggestion has been the best one so far! Thumbs Up It must be a water goblin... :))

18 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@Mish

REALLY?? Wow! Unterwassermann? And it �s really spelt like this? Like it would be spelt in German?? That �s absolutely astounding... To me personally anyway! Wink

In English it would sound totally ridiculous though: the underwaterman lives under water. *LOL*

18 Aug 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@ Silke

Yes, exactly that way :-) But you know, it is a real slang word with a very simple explanation. The word means "cheater" or "deceiver" and in Czech you say it "podvodn�k". Despite its ethymology (which is different of course) the beginning of the word "pod" corresponds with the Czech preposition meaning "under" and "vodn�k" (BTW the word I am looking for) is a a man living in water, or "waterman" ("voda" = "water" "wasser"). When you put it together you come to this simple conclusion!�LOL You know what an influential language German has always been in my country:-) Hope you understand my crazy explanation.-)

18 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

@Mish
Somehow I ended up in the the Czech Republic �s most beautiful city, OstravaLOLNuke

18 Aug 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Hastrman or Vodnik in Czech is the very same creature, however HASTRMAN comes from German word Wasserman = Waterman...
Czechs and Germans are "neighbours" and we used to be a part of Austrian-Hungarian Empire with German as an official language... That �s why there are many words with German origin in our language...
My great-great-grandmother was able to speak and write German perfectly, but her spoken Czech was funny and she couldn �t spell Czech at all... That was at the beginning of the 20th century... In 1918 the Czech republic was founded... but she didn�t learn Czech then, she was in her fourties... My great-grandmother could speak German, French and Czech... My grandma�s first language was Czech, she spoke German fluently and she learnt French at school...
It seems to me that the biggest influence was German, now it is English of course...

18 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >