Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP IN IDIOMS    

HELP IN IDIOMS

mariaelaine
Malta

HELP IN IDIOMS

Can anyone continue this sentence with an idiom pls?

I �ve paid off all my debts and it �s a good feeling to be in the __________ again.

19 Aug 2010      

zoemorosini
United States

"black"  -- the expression "in the black" means profitable, or out of debt.
Alternately, the expression "in the red" means in debt.
These two expressions come from accounting, and the tradition of putting payments in written in black ink, and payments out in red ink.

19 Aug 2010     

mariaelaine
Malta

Thank you so much : )

19 Aug 2010     

menesesandreav
Chile

or to be back in arms again!! 

19 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

Or to be free and clear again.

To tag onto Zoe �s comment:  I heard that in accounting black was used when the account balance was positive and red when it was negative.  Very similar, I suppose.  Anyway, that �s also where the term Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) is said to have gotten it �s name.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

Sue

20 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

We call ANY Friday the 13th Black Friday. Some people think it �s bad luck, but I believe sales of lottery tickets increase on those days. Sort of reverse pschology maybe?

But the idiom is definitely:

I �ve paid off all my debts and it �s a good feeling to be in the _black__ again.

20 Aug 2010