Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi    

Hi

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Hi

Hi,

What question is right to say after explaining different items of the lesson to the students

Do you understand ?
or
Did you understand ?

or something else ????

23 Aug 2010      

mariaelaine
Malta

I don �t usually ask the students whether they have understood or not as very often none put up their hand.  I ask questions regarding the topic and gauge myself whether they have understood.  I also give written homework/schoolwork to reinforce what was done.  Mariaelaine : )

23 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

have you understood? 
Is it clear? 

I also don�t ask them if they have understood as they would tell me the constant " Yes". i check their understanding by asking questions and some exercises. 
Edit: Have you understood? or Do you understand? seem to me two rhetorical questions. They also seem somehow compulsory after a set of explanations!!!!  

23 Aug 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I usually ask "any questions?" then I wait to see if they raise their hands. sometimes they have understood what needs to be done but they have a question I had not anticipated - usually very simple/silly questions like: can we right in pink? (girls) can we use our books? (if it �s an exercise on the workbook)...
have a nice day

23 Aug 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

Hi
 I usually tend to check their understanding by giving follow up exercises or key  questions and you may spot different students to see whether they understood or not. As Donapeter said you�d better avoid asking them such questions because you usually have the constant answer "yes".
have a nice day. 

23 Aug 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

By asking "Doyou understand?" you �re not going to get much information since that �s a yes or no question. You might ask a question that �s particular to what you are teaching and whereby the student has to actually demonstrate whether he/she understood or not. Ed

23 Aug 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

Read this article. There are a few ways of checking understanding but asking "do you understand?" is not one of the most effective ones. The article will help you.

23 Aug 2010     

missiky
Morocco

I was taught not to ask students questions such as`is it clrear?` or `have you understood?`. because most students are going to say `yes`even if they have no idea what the lesson was about. I always tell by their faces if the lesson is clear or not; and as the others said try to get them involved ,use more exrcises, and ask them to provide examples. that way you can guess the answer youself.

23 Aug 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

The questions you mention are indeed virtually useless since hardly anyone will ever reply that they didn �t understand - even if that �s the case. Have a look at the link marta provided.

23 Aug 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

It �s true that to truly check understanding simply asking the question directly is one of the least effective ways of going about it. Check comprehension by direct questions, their facial expressions (my default method) or any number of other ways like the ones given in Marta �s link.

All the same, if you must know, "Do you understand?" is the correct way to ask it. We don �t use the past tense because the operative time involved is still in effect, i.e. it still matters right now whether they understand.

Hope that helps.

23 Aug 2010