Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > plz help everybody ( about a free discussion class)(i ´m a student)    

plz help everybody ( about a free discussion class)(i ´m a student)

top-notch
Iran

plz help everybody ( about a free discussion class)(i ´m a student)

Hi everybody.
dear teachers
 I and some of my friends have decided to hold a free discussion class after we got our certificate of proficiency in English. we ´ve read some 20 novels but they ´re of no use .so we ´ve decided to integrate novels or anything worthy of attention into our program but the thing is we ´re not sure what to do in the class. can anyone please come up with a good syllabus ( running the gamut of films, documentaries and etc) for our discussion class including some innovative and interesting ideas.
(my friend said that it ´s a better idea to fix a topic for every session and talk about it ,.but i think it won ´t give us much language)

23 Aug 2010      

lshorton99
China

If you want to integrate further, why not consider novels which have film adaptations - that could lead to discussions of films vs books.

Your friend ´s idea is actually sound - if you ´re motivated a topic can lead to a lot of language production. Again, why not choose a topic related to a film.

Here is a list of good book to film adaptations to get you started:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/apr/19/film.books

Some other excellent films which could give rise to discussions on different topics include (in no particular order):

Dark Knight
District 9
Bowling for Columbine
Crash (2004)
Watchmen
Heathers
V for Vendetta
Schindler ´s List
Brokeback Mountain
The Manchurian Candidate
On the Waterfront
Amistad
Sophie ´s Choice
Philadelphia
American Beauty

Ultimately, any discussion class will be defined by the personalities of its students. you could choose a theme for the first class and then see how it goes!

Lindsey

24 Aug 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I have a speaking group twice a week.  I use www.breakingnewsenglish.com sometimes.  Have them listen to a breaking news item, which I give them, and then in class we talk about it and do all the exercises that are given.  I then give homework from the homework page. 
My groups are two hours every meeting, and I can barely get them out of there after two hours.
I also put on the board idioms and we discuss those.
Interesting news articles about health/food/diets are always interesting.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

24 Aug 2010