Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > trainee teacher practicing in one of my classes    

trainee teacher practicing in one of my classes

carinita
Argentina

trainee teacher practicing in one of my classes

I �m a newbie teaching and I already have a trainee practicing in one of my classesTongue I really like the idea of letting a future teacher start her practice

The funny thing is that I am doing a replacement LOL I don �t know the group very well myself
Anyway, I �d like to know what would you say to the students, so as to announce that a trainee will be the teacher of the group for about a month and a half How would you talk to the students?
ThhhaaaannnnkkksssssHug

24 Aug 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

I teach elementary and every year, I get a language assistant.

I always tell my students that the assistant is an adult and therefore should be treated the same way as they would treat me or their homeroom teacher. Same thing in your case except I would add that the trainee is there to learn how to become a teacher. She will be observed and evaluated.

When I have a trainee, which does not happen very often, I always tell that person to not become a clone of me. Before they take my class, they come and observe and it �s important for me that each person taking over has to be their own person. I tell them to stick to the curriculum, not to me.

24 Aug 2010     

carinita
Argentina

24 Aug 2010     

rodrioli15
Portugal

You could ask your students to write 2 questions on a piece of paper about their classmates, their teacher ( you), the new school year and the new person that is in the classroom. They can choose. Then you collect the papers and you and the trainee read the questions and answer them . Both questions and answers should be in english.
This is just a suggestion.
Hope it is useful.
Hugs from Portugal and good luck.

24 Aug 2010     

carinaluc
Argentina

Our school has received trainees for a long time, in fact I �ve had them in my classes every year for as long as I can remember, and students are usually reluctant at first, but then they in a way welcome the change.  Remember when you were a trainee, you wanted to impress your tutor, so you always planned the best activities and games you could think of.  It goes without saying this is very appealing for the students!  I simply tell them about their �new teacher � and explain they �ll have to treat her as she/he were myself.  Usually they are a bit doubtful whether she/he �ll explain properly, but I assure them I �ll be in the classroom all the time, even when tutors come to observe the trainee, and that I �ll let the trainee know when something is not going fine.  Having said that, I also tell them our class rules are still on, therefore they must not think they �re on holidays!  And last but not least, I tell them to ask every time they don �t understand something, simply because the trainee will be the teacher in charge, therefore they must not assume I will repeat everything she/he explained after the practice is finished.  I mean, if I have to I will, but I want them to pay attention and work in class the way they always do.  It �s usually a nice experience for the trainee and for the students, so there �s usually nothing to worry about.

Hugs

Carina

24 Aug 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

homeroom teacher????

What does it mean?

25 Aug 2010     

carinita
Argentina

I don �t know what that means pretty Ermm

25 Aug 2010