Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I was asked ...??    

I was asked ...??

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I was asked ...??

Hi,

I was asked a question about tag questions but I didn �t know the answer.

As you know we use a particular structure for questions that expect the answer yes or no.

e.g. She  likes tea , doesn �t she ?  ( a question that expects the answer yes )

So, the answer : Yes ,she does .

One asked me that : " you expect the answer yes & you use the structure of this kind of question , but the answer is no not yes .It is no. Can we answer that question with no , she doesn �t ? "

She  likes tea , doesn �t she ? 
No , she doesn �t ??????????????????????????

Can you help me answering this question ,please?

24 Aug 2010      

Redbull
Thailand

No she doesn �t like tea  GOOD FOR ME

24 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

But of course you can answer "no". A question tag emphasizes the question that you are asking; and it sometimes prompts a certain answer BUT you don �t always know a person�s personal preferences.

example:

A: Tina likes coffee, doesn �t she?

B: err... No, she doesn �t. She quit drinking coffee years ago.

A: Oh. Well, then.. that must means that she doesn�t like tea either, does she?

B: Umm, actually... she does. Tina simply loves green tea.

Hope that this helps somewhat,

Smile 

24 Aug 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

she likes tea, doesn �t she? 

with rising intonation: you �re not sure she likes tea, so it �s a question, and you can answer yes or no!

with falling intonation: you �re sure she likes tea, so it �s not a question, but it �s a polite way to check you can pour a cup of tea for her.

same for:
you �re an English teacher, aren �t you?
=> rising intonation = question / falling intonation = I know you are and I use that sentence to introduce the topic!

Intonation

We can change the meaning of a tag question with the musical pitch of our voice. With rising intonation, it sounds like a real question. But if our intonation falls, it sounds more like a statement that doesn �t require a real answer:

look here to learn more about question tags!

have a nice day;-)
Elodie

24 Aug 2010     

jmalone77
United States

It �s fine.  The reason for a tag question in your example would be to ask for reaffirmation of something that I really expect to be true.  For example, let �s say I have a guest from Morocco, and he brought a friend.  I might ask my friend the following:

He likes tabouli, doesn �t he?  (Let �s pretend that I spent 2 hours making tabouli beforehand)

In this sentence, I already assume that the Moroccan likes tabouli.  This seems to be a logical assumption because it is a traditional dish there.  From here, my partner can say either:

Yes, he does.

or

No, he doesn �t.

24 Aug 2010