Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ice breakers for true beginners    

ice breakers for true beginners

inspiration
Morocco

ice breakers for true beginners

Salam dear all
I m going back to work soonest and I m in need of some nice icebreakers to use with my students , knowing that they first study EFL. Thank you so much in advance!
Chafik

24 Aug 2010      

Redbull
Thailand

One thing I do is I use a soft ball and say GO count with my head towards the whiteboard then say stop. The student with the ball has to answer a question like

vocab, can you tell me what you see in the workbook picture, spelling, and so on.

Another one is I make all the students stand in a circle, using a picture I get the students to answer what they see in the picture.
Rules of the game No two answers the same must reply within a time scale.

But i don �t know your students ages so i could be way off with this one.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOW Wink.

24 Aug 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Ice breakers for true beginners:

I seat the students in a circle.  I go to one of them, and say, "I am Judy." (Using hand gestures of course).  "What is your name?"/"You are, .......?".  I then signal for that person to ask the person next to him/her.  Then after a few people have done this I go to number 1 again and say.  "I live in .........." and gesture to him/her.  And so on.  I therefore have many conversations going at once.

Another idea, (Not mine, I admit, but a colleague of mine).  Is to write out some small notes, like,  I am George Bush.  I am 81 years old.  I live in Texas.  And then have each person introduce their character as themselves.  Lots of fun.

Have fun
Judy

24 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

http://www.teachingheart.net/backtoschool2.html

http://holidays.kaboose.com/back-to-school/

http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/lesson/lesson196.shtml

24 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I love teaching them only the basics, which goes fast because they usually know this (like - saying their name, age, job, what they like and don �t like) and then making them say 5 things about themsleves, one of which has to be a lie. The other sts have to guess which one is a lie. This actually helps them use the vocab directly and get them know each other better. To break the ice, you can actually start. It helps to have the key vocab on the board on colourful papers in huge letters - we are all visual creatures and it helps us retain info... You can have them write the sentences down first and help them with voacb, but keeps it simple. Afterwards, they can use the same things to pretend to be sb famous and others guess who - e.g. I �m a singer and actress. I �m 50 something. I �m from the U. S. A. I �m a trend-setter. I �m divorced. (Madonna)

24 Aug 2010