Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Could you please help me?    

Could you please help me?

vaglio
Costa Rica

Could you please help me?

Dear collegues: I have been studying the difference between a phrase and a clause with my eleventh grade students and I got stuck in an evaluation question from our text book. Could you plese help me?

Please  the following fragment of a sentence and tell me what do you think:
 "A leading expert in the field of nutrition...."

Is this a phrase or a clause?
There are some options to cross out in order to classify the last fragment. The options are the following:

a. participial phrase
b. dependent clause
c. independent clause
d. prepositional phrase

I think it is a dependent clause, but it doesnt have a verb, so ...........I  got  pretty confused.............. Could you help me????     Which option is the correct one???

24 Aug 2010      

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

It looks as if it �s a "participial phrase"... a participial phrase has a present or past participle (-ing or -ed verb ending) and any modifiers, objects or any other complements. Although, "leading" is more an adjective than a verb here... not too sure on this one.

25 Aug 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
Is the fragment you gave  the beginning of the sentence ??? you wrote with .......

or as you said afterwards  " is it the last fragment?

( There are some options to cross out in order to classify the last fragment. )

These tricky questions are always difficult to understand and, I am allways to feel them only as tricky. We can usually start a fight about n different ways to read and understnad them.
We can understand a sentence if and only if it is in a determined context, otherwise everyone can step ahead and give some other explanation.

Have you ever heard that silly joke
A teacher says:
Please, Bob, say a sentence starting with    I

And Bob says:
 I    is ...
And teacher corrects:
No, no, no: Always say : I am... , ok ?

And Little Bob says:
Ok; I am the the ninth letter of the alfabeth

Just to tell you that these are very, very difficult and can lead to  uncountable different ways of answers.
Yours, will be , most probably right, under certain circunstances
hugs

25 Aug 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I �d say it �s a noun phrase (most important words is �expert �), but since that �s not among the options, I �d go for dependent clause as well (although the misguided makers of this question seem not to know that most clauses usually contain a verb). 

One could argue that this is a question without a correct answer. It is definitely not suitable for a test where questions should be crystal clear and not lead to confusion or discussion.

25 Aug 2010     

Angelesbi
Argentina

Hello there! It �s a phrase due to the fact that clauses have a subject and a verb, and this example you gave here has not a verb.
A clause  contain phrases (noun phrase, verb phrase, etc, etc)

A leading expert in the field of nutrition...." (noun phrase)

A leading expert in the field of nutrition has opend a debate on whether to shorten the amount of cola that children ...."  (clause)

25 Aug 2010     

MarianaC
Argentina

I completely agree with PhilipR, none of the options is right to me either. As Angelesbi has pointed out in her example, your phrase seems to be the subject of a clause - a noun phrase, no verb in it... nothing more, nothing less.

25 Aug 2010