Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you differentiate?    

How do you differentiate?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

How do you differentiate?

Hi,

These two pictures are beans.

Bean is a word for two different kinds of food.

Can you tell me how do we differentiate between them when I say " I eat beans " ??

How do you know which one I mean ??

May be it is strange topic but I like to know

25 Aug 2010      

alelatorre
Brazil

Hey friend,

We call the first one green beans and the second one we say beans, regular beans.

See ya!!

25 Aug 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I use their names.

Navy beans, pinto beans, white beans, black beans, lima beans, lima beans, garbanzo beans, chili beans, mung beans, black eyed peas, green beans. I don �t regard the carbohydrate rich bean varieties as "regular" beans. for me the green beans are the regular beans.

25 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

"Green beans" and "beans".

If I just hear someone say beans, unless they �ve already indicated green beans, I assume they �re referring to legumes (e.g. pintos, black beans, garbanzos). 

For example, if I �d seen someone put green beans in a pot on the stove to cook and they said, "Hey, check and see if the beans �re done yet"  I �d know it was the green beans, but otherwise, no.  On the other hand, if I asked what a friend brought for lunch and she said "beans", I �d assume she meant some kind of legume.

Sue

25 Aug 2010     

yanogator
United States

In the US, at least, the second kind are usually dried or canned, so we often refer to them as dried beans.

Bruce

25 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Green beans or fresh beans for the first.
Dried beans or canned beans for the second.

25 Aug 2010     

Mariethe House
France

british english: runner beans and beans ( baked beans) anyway, that �s what my English mother in law used to saySmile

25 Aug 2010     

frenchfrog
France

Also �French beans � (for the green ones) (Why �French �??? Cannot see them wearing a beret!LOL), and �kidney beans � for the second example.

25 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

beans and green beans
Green beans are sometimes called French beans, which I believe comes from a specific way you can buy them --"French Style" or French Cut"--in this form they are cut/sliced into a long, thinner shape.

25 Aug 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Wow...didn �t know that green beans are also called french beans....What you learn everyday....
We call them ( fresh) green beans and (dry) beans....

25 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Ciao and what do you call these ones?

25 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >