Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

lshorton99
China

Word of the Day

Hi all!

Today �s word is:

gormandize

As always, guessing is the only way to go - if you post from a dictionary then no one else can play the game!

Have fun!

Lindsey

26 Aug 2010      

ikebana
France

maybe a sweety thing to eat such as lollipops , candies or  some pastries . It sounds very much like a French word.( gourmandise(s) )
have  a nice day
hugs
Ikebana
PS : hope Marie-th� won �t see any naughty , cheeky meaning underneath Wink

26 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Easy one!!
From -gor(e) = related to blood ; - mandize : short for merchandise :
Blood for sale.
Approve

26 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

No idea, how about:

Gore - man -dize --to add a scary (gorey) man to something like a film or haunted house?

26 Aug 2010     

guizmow
France

Great job stexstme!!!! You must be right, I didn �t think to � �andise � as a short for merchandise. ;)

26 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

Hmmm, let �s see...maybe it �s to make someone into a gourmand (a person who is obsessed with eating, but not just any food--they focus on really good food, i.e. expertly prepared, often expensive)?  Or maybe taking "regular" food and preparing it in such a way that it becomes special (gourmet)?  For example, "He gormandized the hot dog by topping it with caviar after cooking the wiener in champagne."  (Yuck, that sounds awful!)

Sue

26 Aug 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

to enjoy eating gourmands...
that is to say... maneatingPinch!
Scary, huh?

26 Aug 2010     

Mariethe House
France

all these learned words always have a french origin especially in the domain of fooddWink

Well, i am going to tell you: - Gore comes from the French word: goret which means pig and man is the short for manner  ( mani�re) and ize is an old form of the verb eat

So the meaning of �"gormandize" is: eat like a pig  Smile

26 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

What is the difference between goret and the French word from which we get pork, porcine etc.?

26 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Apodo,
I think goret (piglet) comes from the old French gore = pig. ( I �ve read it could come from German, but I �m not sure about it..) Gore has disappeared from the language, & we use porc.

26 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

I do know the meaning of this word! BUT I think the alternatives are much more fun... so....

gormandize - is to fill a place with gourds...

I just gormandized my place and the pumpkin squashes go great with the decor. Wink

26 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >