Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

snowflake
Romania

I am completely unable to pronounce it correctly :)) that cinihilipili impossible. My guess is... well, let �s see: it has "fication" so it �s probably a process or estimation of some kind... the process of making... floccinaucinihili... pills? which would be pills for... hair growth??

27 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I read it in a book when I was little (something like �What Katy Did �) and thought it would be fun!

EDIT: Good to have you back Frank!

27 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

I like Frank �s definiton--some of those hillbillies could really use a flossing fixation

27 Aug 2010     

serennablack
Portugal

I can �t even write that down without having to look more than once..so I bet that word means that we english teachers need to get better glasses. LOL

27 Aug 2010     

Laly59
Spain

I don�t know this word but it�s possible it can be a flock isn�t classified like useful for nothing and anybody

27 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Floccinaucinihilipilification

Defn: The process whereby those premium eslprintables members celebrating the day of their birth, as entered on their member account page, but whom have not logged in at least once during the thirty days prior, forfeit the priviledge of having their birthday listed on the home page.  Approve

27 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I found something funny: How many floccinaucinihilipilifications would a floccinaucinihilipilificating floccinaucinihilipilificator floccinaucinihilipilificate if a floccinaucinihilipilificating floccinaucinihilipilificator could floccinaucinihilipilificate floccinaucinihilipilifications? 

I am still trying to pronounce the first F word!!! LOL

@ Jayho...Members with 30 points!!! I�ve just checked!!! "(This list only shows active users with 30 points or more)" 

27 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Jeez Jayho,
I do love your sense of humourClap

Creepers! I�d betterlog onto ESL Printables this month,
otherwise I�m going to get;
Floccinaucinihilipilificated!!!!!!

27 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

Well, the post is about to disappear from the page so it �s time to put the correct answer!

floccinaucinihilipilification = the estimation of something as valueless or worthless. Incidentally, the smaller parts of the word all mean something along the lines of �of little value �. It also bears the distinction of being the longest unchallenged nontechnical word in English.

Frank �s back so I shall return Word of the Day duties to the original creator! I leave you with these interesting long words.

Antidisestablishmentarianism  - to be against removing the Anglican Church �s status as the official state church of the United Kingdom. My favourite long word because when I was little it was fun to say! (Yes, I did go through phases of reading the dictionary - Webster �s - don �t judge!)

Honorificabilitudinitatibus - the state of being able to achieve honours, famous for being the longest word used by Shakespeare (by Costard in Love �s Labour �s Lost)

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian - of, or pertaining to very long words. Seems appropriate!

Thanks for playing everyone!

Lindsey

27 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2