Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > PET MISTAKES    

PET MISTAKES

carinaluc
Argentina

Apart from the legendary �I have 16 years old � and �Ilike chocolate � (sts assume the apostrophe after I belongs to the pronoun), my sts usually drive me crazy with these pet mistakes:
* wiht
* inmediately
* responsable
* the pronunciation of the verb �promise � (they pronounce the "i" with a diphthong and they stress the word on it as well)
* I haven �t a dog, instead of I don �t have a dog or I haven �t got a dog.
* Some of my students think that the past of the verb �to be � is... BED

Hugs

Carina

28 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I �m always amazed, especially after 3 sequels of Mission Impossible, to get unpossible from highschool sts!

28 Aug 2010     

Petpet
Czech Republic

Some of my students � classics in addition to most of those mentioned above:

grammar and vocab:
- I have like music. - as a direct translation from Czech
- He has birthday on... - direct translation from Czech
- Have you a house? - surprisingly, I once heard this version myself on the BBC - �Have you a problem? Just call us at... �
- I must to go to work.
- Jane she is 30. - this appears with beginners at early stages
- My job is a teacher. - in answer to "What �s your job?" - happens mostly on beg. to pre-int. levels
- Did you spoke to her?, Do she has a car?
- When? and Where? as question words
- I �m from Czech Republic. (instead of .. from the Czech Republic)
- I �ll go there at Monday.
- huge problems with the word order, as Czech word order is far from being strictlygiven - typical: Interesting was when I saw their live concert., placing an object instead of a subject: The dog we left at home. (Czech w.o.), On Friday came Sue to visit us. .. etc.
spelling:
- witch instead of which
- wether x weather x whether
- becose
- mather (instead of mother)
- beautifull, and all adj. ending in -ful
pronunciation:
- hotel - all say /hotl/
- event - /i:vnt/
- to live - /l�:f/, /laif/
- receive - /risaif/
- son - /son/
and then the category I would call "irrational":
- Germany instead of German - Andreas is Germany. - this mistake strangely appears with all students ranging from beginners to FCE, what �s weird about it is that they do not make mistakes with other nationalities, only Germans :-)
All weird or irrational mistakes from your countries welcome. Would like to write a thesis on them one day... :-)

Have a nice weekend!

28 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Btw, in case I forget to mention this later on... you �re all fantastic - this has turned out to be a really useful thread... so

28 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3