Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > FUNNY TEXTS    

FUNNY TEXTS

anitarobi
Croatia

FUNNY TEXTS

Just felt like sharing this for the sake of those who love using humour in lessons...

Btw, there is lots of other stuff, too... I hope you find sth you like!

Anita

27 Aug 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

The first gag reminded me of an old Scottish joke:

Two men walking through a cemetery. They stop at an old headstone that says "Here lyes a Lawyer and an Honest Man." The first man says to the other, "Ach, who �d ever think there wis enough room for two bodies in that wee grave?"

27 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Thanks Anita, another one for the favourites column.

27 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Almaz, Big smile

27 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@Almaz

Every time I read that wee word "wee", it reminds me of a poem by the Scottish poet Robert Burns that my Scottish ex-fianc� taught me about 20 years ago:

Wee, sleekit, cow �rin, tim �rous beastie,
O, what a panic �s in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an � chase thee,
Wi � murdering pattle.

This is only the first part and it took me ages to pronounce all the verses correctly. I remember that George had a really good laugh!!

LOL

27 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Silke,

One of my favourite poets and poems. I �m sure lots of English teachers will be familiar with part of one of the later verses:

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane, 
In proving foresight may be vain; 
The best-laid schemes o � mice an � men
Gang aft agley
An � lea �e us nought but grief an � pain, 
For promis �d joy! 

One of my favourite authors, Steinbeck, was a Burns fan too.

27 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I love that poem! I lived in a house with a mouse problem so I once tried reciting it to see if they would be quiet at night in return for us only putting humane traps down. I was 9 at the time so it made perfect sense for me to try reasoning with a mouse! Plus I loved reciting the famous �best laid plans � couplet every time we caught a mouse! (we set them free in a wood about a mile away but I suspect the same ones kept coming back to hear me recite poetry. One in particular grew quite fond of Shakespeare, as I recall...)

Lindsey

27 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

OK, now you got me going...

SILLY WEE WEE SONG
When I was a wee wee tot they took me off my wee wee cot and put me on my wee wee pot to see if I would wee or not
Chorus: Wee wee Wee wee Wee wee wee wee wee wee Wee wee wee wee wee Wee wee wee wee Wee wee wee wee wee
And when they saw that I would not they took me off my wee wee pot and put me on my wee wee cot and then I gave it all I got!

@Silke, just imagine Gerard Butler pronouncing it and things will go smoother... (ups, perhaps we better take this conversation to the cafe, but it is the weekend... let �s have a casual Saturday...)

28 Aug 2010