Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the best writers    

the best writers

summerwinds
Saudi Arabia

the best writers

good morning/afternoon

can u help me with the best 20th, 21st writers and authors i can read their books, either fiction or nonfiction.

thank u in advance

30 Aug 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Stephen King rocks!!!

30 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Summerwinds said : � Best writers �!LOL

Nabokov ? Joyce ? W Faulkner ? A Camus ? ....The list might be tooooo long!!

( Elodie : Did you manage with your books ?? ;o)))
Sylvie

30 Aug 2010     

summerwinds
Saudi Arabia

thank you ELOJOLIE and stexstme

i really appreciate it if u write the list

30 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

You know, Summertimes, I believe a �best writers � list can be very different from one person to another. ( BTW, I was joking when I replied!Wink) We �ve had a few �literature � links here, & people like different things.... ;o)))
More over, we are from different parts of the World, with different cultures... Who are the �best � writers, really ???? I guess the ones you �ll never forget, the ones who will enlighten your life, & make you think...
The names I gave you are just examples...They �re not THE best writers, they �re - just - MY best writers , among so many others....I could tell you about so many others!! These just came out of my mind...
I wish you a wonderful time & happy readings!
Sylvie

30 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Summerwinds,
Have to agree with Sylvie on this one. A best writer list can be one or two writers for one person but one hundred and fifty writers for another.
In this website alone http://www.scribophile.com/ there are over five thousand writers, some good, some not so good, but it is all according to individual tastes.
If I gave you a list of my favourite writers for instance, you �d probably like some of them, then again you might hate them all. why not try some of the classics and then progress from there?
Jack Kerouak
George Orwell
Faulkner
John Steinbeck
Or google twenty and twenty first century successful writers and see what comes up.

Best of luck

Ps it would be really good if I got your name right. Sorry for calling you Summertimes, I guess my head is still on holiday.

30 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

LOLSummertimes....Hope it �s not because of me!!!LOLSorry, Summerwinds : Too much music in my tiny head!Stern Smile
Ps : Frank, what do you mean :  you have to agree .... Painful ???!!!LOL

30 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Never painful to agree with you SylvieEmbarrassed
I was just emphasizing the fact that I was agreeing with youWink but seen as though I went on to make a total mess of the whole thing by calling Summerwinds Summertimes or Summatlikethat I �m not surprised you misunderstood my intentionOuch

30 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

Here �s a BBC list of the nation �s 100 favourite books:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml

This is a list of the 100 books the BBC thinks you should have read (I �ve only read 76 of them so don �t worry!)

http://www.librarything.com/topic/61828

Apart from those lists, I recommend Guy Gavriel Kay- my absolute favourite author!

Lindsey

30 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �m afraid I do have to agree with Sylvie (and yes, it is painful!). Lists are either highly subjective or media-driven and, irritatingly, never ever tally with my list. 

Sara,

You �re asking about the best 20th/21st century writers. I assume you mean those who write in English and not translations? 

30 Aug 2010     

paugyg
Argentina

"Who are the �best � writers, really ???? I guess the ones you �ll never forget, the ones who will enlighten your life, & make you think..."

I totally agree with stexstme regarding who are the best writers for each person. Personally, the writers that have enlightened my life, made me think, and that I will never forget are:

Salman Rushdie
Paul Auster
Stephen King

30 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >