Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Notetaking    

Notetaking

Jayho
Australia

Notetaking

Hi all

This is a question for those of us teaching adults.

Do you teach a specific method of note-taking (for lectures, meetings, research etc)?

If so, I�d be interested to hear your thoughts on:

- which method/s of note-taking do you teach (e.g. Cornell method, Outline method, Mapping method Charting method, Sentence method to name a few)?
- why do you use it/them?
- in what way is it/they successful?
- what kind of difficulties do you encounter when teaching note-taking?

Cheers

Jayho

31 Aug 2010      

puddyd
Oman

Hi Jayho,
- The Cornell method is the first method I teach them.I find it �s the easiest to use and most [usually the girls] ss use a similar variation already and so once it �s been explained they use it for their study notes.The difficulties ecountered are that ss are lazy to rewrite their notes  they prefer to highlight and underline, so a waste of teaching time because they �re never going to do it and also they �re creatures of habit and hate changing their ways.
 .Next I teach them
-Paraphrasing, the circle and underlining method. Circle the facts and underline the info that can be changed,ie put into their own words. I get them to tranfer that info "Cornell style" onto a post-it [left column for facts and right for info to be paraphrased]. They must then remove the origional from temptation, totally out of site , and then they stick it onto a lined piece of paper , so they can recontruct the info in their own voice.It is powerful because this way you know they understand what they �re writing about and guess what so do they and so it �s very satifying-a win win situ.
Lastly,
- Mind mapping because it �s very powerful if done correctly , it �s fun and can be used in any situation-i.e: planning, studying, notetaking in a lecture etc. and the best part is that when the lecturer adds info they don �t have to make little stars with arrows etc they just add a new branch and you never run out of �paper �.
If you PM me with your email , I can send you some worksheets and ppts that I use and anyone else for that matter if you like.
I hope it �s clear
Rgds ;o)

31 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

I have taught students the outline method of notetaking in the past, but it was just because the topic came up and they were unfamiliar with it.

31 Aug 2010