Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is the correct?    

What is the correct?

wakebeauty
Brazil

What is the correct?

Please dear colleagues help me with this doubt, what is the correct:

PICNIC FRUIT or FRUIT PICNIC and why????

Thanks a lot in advance,
wakebeauty.

31 Aug 2010      

nat1000
Thailand

Picnic fruit would be fruit you take on a regular picnic, strawberries for example.
While fruit picnic would suggest a picnic of fruit only.

31 Aug 2010     

wakebeauty
Brazil

OMG, I used with my SS the other way out Nat!!!! And now?????

Thanks a bunch Nat for clarifying it to me...

31 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I agree with nat but I would add that I �ve never said either. It �s not very natural to say �picnic fruit � as which fruits are �picnic fruits � would vary from person to person and I �ve never had a �fruit picnic � - a picnic with only fruit would probably just be a snack on a day in the country. I would consider both expressions to be something not said by native speakers.

Lindsey

31 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Yup, Nat is perfectly right. Wakebeauty, don �t worry. This happens. You can either tell your sts you had a terrible headache that day and mixed things up, or use it for a challenge - repeat the two forms and ask them what they think was wrong about them during the last lesson - don �t forget to reward the student who guesses!

31 Aug 2010