Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dictation    

Dictation

bill24
Thailand

Have a big house..Not have got......and of course not but....Playing sport not doing.....
going on holiday not holidays....This is ok for beginners  ...my changes are to make it sound as if written by a native speaker...good luck..Bill

2 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Yolprica,

Here are my suggestions:

Hello! My name is David. I am twelve years old. I am very tall for my age. I have got brown hair and green eyes.

I live in a small town near London with my parents and my two sisters. We have got (have got is okay, since your text uses BE spelling) a big house with a beautiful garden. We have got three cats and a dog. My sisters are older than me but we play together a lot (I think this word order emphasizes what you want to say). My parents are teachers and work in a school in the centre (you can keep your original version here, there is nothing wrong with it) of town.

I am a good student and I like reading and writing stories but of course I love sports and going out with my friends. (Bill is right, people use "play" here, but you can�t play all sports). (Check this, though)

I also like going on holiday (Bill is right again, no plural) in the summer to other countries. Next August I am going to visit New York with my family.

(I agree with Apodo�s suggestion regarding the last paragraph.)

2 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

"I love sports"

"in summer" and "in the summer" are both okay (I �ve fought with German English teachers about this one in the past)

2 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

This is what I would say - using Canadian English.Wink

Hello,

My name is David. I �m 12 years old. I have brown hair and green eyes. I am very (quite) tall for my age.

I live in a small town near London with my parents and my two sisters. We have a big house with a beautiful garden. We have three cats and a dog. My sisters are older than me but we play together a lot. My parents are teachers and work in a school in the center of town.

I am a good student and I like reading and writing stories. I also love going on holidays in summer.

In August, I �m going to visit  (on a trip to) New York with my family

2 Sep 2010     

marciadnr
Portugal

Yolprica,

if I were you I �d follow blunderbuster �s suggestions. There was nothing particularly wrong with your original, just making it sound more fluent. Was it intended to sound as spoken discourse or actually just written discourse - as in a postcard? If it was oral, then you should use abbreviations where possible; otherwise it really is fine as blunderbuster suggests.

2 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2