Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Spoken vs Written English    

Spoken vs Written English

libertybelle
United States

Spoken vs Written English

In school in the USA, we were taught to differentiate between
written and spoken English. The only time we were allowed
to write don�t instead of do not, was when we wrote a direct quote
of something someone was saying.
For example
"Don�t do that Kenny!", said the teacher.

But I see can�t, and don�t written all over the place, even on flash cards.
Have the rules changed? Because if they have, I surely haven�t heard about it.
Have a good weekend

Liberybelle

29 Nov 2008      

eng789
Israel

I allow contractions in writing.  I�m curious to hear from what the American, British etc. teachers say about it.

29 Nov 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

I was also taught to use contractions in spoken English or when writing an informal letter to for example a friend. I do teach contractions to my ss and tell them about formal and informal  written English. I have also noticed that American newspapers and magazines use more contractions than they used to.

29 Nov 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Much depends upon the formality or register of the particular writing.  If you are writing an informal story or a letter to a friend then contractions are perfectly acceptable, but in formal writing and specifically for exam type essays (such as IELTS) then contractions are frowned upon and should be avoided.

As pointed out earlier, the only time in formal writing when contractions are acceptable is when quoting direct speech - because that is what was actually said.  So don�t (or should that be do not!!!) use contractions in formal writing.

The problem comes when writing is somewhere in between - not formal but not informal, such as a letter to an acquaintance.  I think the decider which to use is the subject matter.  If you are writing with a request, then probably best to be polite and formal, but if you are writing about something light hearted, then contractions are ok.

Hope that doesn�t or (does not) cause confusion 

29 Nov 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Well, Eng789 - I AM am American and we were taught to write "written" English, as I wrote above.
I�m also in London 2 times a year but haven�t really seen this problem.

I just looked through a Harry Potter book and it is written in formal English except
when she quotes direct speech.

I agree with Logos, though about differentiating between formal and informal writing.
The problem is, kids today don�t differentiate! 

Our last essay was about applying for a job and they headed the letter:
Dear to whom it may concern!
and ended it with Love and some even wrote Hugs and kisses!! LOL

Thank goodness it wasn�t an exam essay!
But what we allow our students to do and what the rules are-are two different things.

Did you all know that more people in the world speak English as a 2nd language, than people
who speak it as a first language??
I read that in Newsweek!
Lisa

29 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

In New Zealand we also teach children teh difference between formal and informal writing. 

With my students of english I always differentiate between the two when teaching. 

contractions are perfectly acceptable in an informal format (such as this forum or fairy tales, emails, direct quotes)
whereas
the full words should always be used in formal situations  and when you want to emphasise something in an informal setting. 

Of course I never had to teach children to use contractions or the full words in their oral language as they were native speakers!  I do teach the two to children and adults and explain the difference.

I do think many newspapers and other media sources are becoming very lax with their use of english as they cater to the masses and believe in dumbing down (which I do not think is necessary!).  It is a shame really.

Just my two cents...
V

29 Nov 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Interesting!

I�m Australian, and I�d have to say that I was never taught to not use contractions in formal writing. A lot depended upon the emphasis you wanted to make. Essentially using �do not� is more emphatic than �don�t�.

The other thing I feel is that English constantly changes. The prescriptive grammars we have all been taught when learning the language are, in terms of the history of English, very recent developments. Contemporary English usage is quite different to even 20 or 30 years ago. Many new words have joined the language & many older words have changed meanings or have fallen out of fashion.

As far as �dumbing down� is concerned, well again, the language changes constantly, so it�s a bit hard for me to judge. There are more speakers of Japanese English (with all the Japanese language constraints directly influencing the syntax etc) than there are speakers of Australian & New Zealand English combined. So does this make Japanese English more influential or valid than Vickiii�s or my respective Englishes?

When it comes to teaching then contractions are an important part of everyday communication, so should certainly be taught - but not at the beginning of a students adventure with the language!

That�s my 5cents worth now that 2cents are out of circulation in DownUnder...

29 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

When I studied, my teachers also taught us to write one way and speak another... And I found it strange when I started teaching here (in Spain) that teachers told students that they HAD to use "don�t, doesn�t, isn�t, hasn�t... etc...) when writing.

I never had anyone tell me such a thing - ever. Using the non-contracted form when writing is more normal and correct and I always tell the students "if you aren�t sure - do NOT contract." ... both ways are correct and I find that it�s a horrible thing to tell students, especially when they often write "isen�t or hasen�t" that the non-contracted form is wrong.

I think that this is just a "fad" ... or something someone somewhere thought up to confuse students... Disapprove It�s like saying you have to write "colour" without the "o" or with the "o"... both spellings are correct and a student should never be told he is incorrect for using one instead of the other.

29 Nov 2008