Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Problems with a teacher    

Problems with a teacher

Pelletrine
France

I think you are ALL right in your  statements. There IS a vocabulary problem. In common English, chalk is for a blackboard.... and the colour support is gypse/calsium... (not very easy to use on a peace of paper ) ;o)
- But, your main problem is to have your child experience progress and peace of mind in her progress. SO you cannot put down her teacher in front of her. (might give quite a lot of unsolvable further problems).
- use humor, and find a compromise (wax-chalk/crayons.... even YOU "could have misunderstood" the word (at least in front of your child).
- Blunderbuster has a very good advise: no-one will "loose face": your child �s teacher will have the opportunity to make up for her mistake.... and wont feel any need to "punish" your child in the future.

When my children were in primary school, once, they came home, rather terrified: the head-teacher had pulled the hair ( by the ear... where it really hurts) of the smaller one.... for not knowing the lesson ... in front of them, I told them that, so, they had better know their lessons for the future.... and then I had a private interview with the teacher, talking about what I thought of physical punishments.... it never happened again... and the children kept cofident in the teacher �s teaching.
- what I mean is, don �t show your child that you don �t agree with her teacher, but DO speak, privately,without your child, with that teacher.

Good luck Wink

3 Sep 2010     

lolelozano
Argentina

Well, I really have to say, I agree with melah. I would personally, ask my students to use either markers or colour pencils. As long as the homework is correct, what difference does the it make? I belive there might be sth- wrong with this teacher. IMHO, I think she probably realized you helped your girl and she didn�t accept that.

Either way, try to take it easy - and good luck!

4 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

And you actually went out and bought chalk to colour on paper???? How silly was that?

It should have been obvious from the start that chalk wasn �t needed. The teacher seems indeed not to know what chalk is. Instead, coloured pencils or crayons should have been used.

4 Sep 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

I agree completely with Blunderbuster, Pelletrine, and PhilipR on this. Best not to prick the ego, but seriously, what was this teacher thinking? I �d really like to know. 

4 Sep 2010     

reeta1
Canada

Many years ago, I think it was my first year, I assigned reading homework. I told the students to read a book and wrote on the board read a book. I meant choose a book at home and read a chapter or two for a half hour. Lo and behold, a student came back the next day and told me he had spent the better part of the night struggling to finish an entire book. After that, I was very careful what I gave for homework and how I phrased it! If the teacher said color with chalk, then that �s what you did. It �s not for you to read the teacher �s mind and try to guess what she really meant. It �s unfair that your daughter did all that work, followed the teacher �s instructions, and then got a "bad mark", or in this case, an unhappy face. If I were you, I �d make an appointment with the teacher, tell her there was a miscommunication because you did exactly what she asked, and ask her to explain what she meant by "chalk". Any more miscommunications and you should make an appointment with the principal.

4 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Philip, maybe Ide Bere thought the teacher wanted to give homework about colors AND school objects...

4 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2