Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Open class for 5-year-olds    

Open class for 5-year-olds

aliciapc
Uruguay

Open class for 5-year-olds

Hello everyone! I wanted to search the old posts but the option doesn �t appear on my screen, that �s why I write here asking for help ! I need ideas to organise an open class with a group of 44 kids. If you would be so kind to give me some ! I �m not used to working with such young kids, so . . . I hope you can give me an idea about what activities to do . Thank you sooo much !

4 Sep 2010      

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=815

4 Sep 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi, Alicia,
I �ve never worked with such a big group, but I �ve had 5th graders for three years now. The key is different types of activities that keep them focused. You should have some type of a physical activity sometime during your lesson too. All activities have to be logically connected and run around the main topic so to speak. Splitting the ss into smaller groups for group activities also helps, and if you engage them in some sort of a competition they �ll be extremely motivated. If you have a smart board in your English room, you can use some interactive grammar games or ppts to introduce new vocabulary. 
When I had a demonstration lesson "Life in the Future" I used a slide show of the photos of the Universe from the Hubble telescope for the relaxation (it had music too). I asked my ss to imagine they were inside the spacecraft in the outer space and the slide show pictures was what they could see through the illuminators, they were to improvise with movements to fake the weightlessness. They looked so cute. I think they really enjoyed that.
Sophia
Sorry, Alicia I thought 5th gradersEmbarrassed I guess it�s getting late here in Ukraine and my brain is just shutting down telling me to go to bed.

4 Sep 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you, anyway, Sophia ! It �s a nice idea to work with 9-year-olds !
And , Victoria, you �ve been REALLY helpful !! Thank you sooo much !!Hug

4 Sep 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Hello Alicia,

I like working with 5 year-olds but I never have more than 10 in one group.

What we do in class is starting and finishing with a hello/Goodbye song.

If we revise vocabulary I use different activities.
For example we can have a competition. I get one set of picture cards for every team, place them on a table picture up (far enough from the teams). Then I say the name of an object I want them to bring e.g. �an apple � or �a geen apple � and the first player in each team runs to his table, fetches the card and gives it to me. The first to do this correctly gets one point for the team.

We also play a game called "What �s missing?". I usually place 6-7 pictures on the board (face up) kids look at them for a while and then close their eyes, I take one picture away and they open their eyes and say the name of a missing picture. The first to do it correctly goes to the board and hides the next picture.

They know some adjectives and we play �Mime it � game. One kid comes up to the board and mimes 2-3 adjectives e.g. big/small/happy/sad/strong/weak/cold/hot/fast/slow etc and the other kids guess. The same game we play with toys vocabulary(ball/doll/car/scooter/train/ plane / teddy bear etc.)
We do a colouring activities, have a break and do a kind of physical exercises e.g. �Head and shoulders �.

I hope it helps a bit.

Have a nice day!
Larisa

5 Sep 2010