Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation help    

translation help

uyumlu
Turkey

translation help

�Not to me.� Brenna poked at her own thigh. �I can honestly say that I�ve never missed a meal by being too busy. There�s always time for pasta. It�s these Italian genes. Every mouthful heads directly south of my waist. Why couldn�t I take after Grammy M like you?�

Hello guys can you help me to understand this paragraph more clearly. especially the bold parts. I have some idea but I �m not sure. If you help to make it clear I �ll be appreciated

6 Sep 2010      

viccxx
Greece

HI!
What she means by "every mouthful heads directly south of my waist"s that she has a tendency to put on weight on her bottom and thighs, the classic Mediterranean pear shaped silouette...(damn it!). That �s why at the begginning she is poking her thigh. And she goes on to explain that she can never resist a good dish of pasta...

6 Sep 2010     

arlissa
United States

Brenna likes to eat food, especially pasta. She is of Italian origin. She thinks her thighs are fat, or at least says that �s where she believes the fat of the food goes in her body. When she says "Every mouthful heads directly south of my waist" she means that all the food goes to her thighs (thighs being located below, or south of, the waist of the body). I know that she means her thighs specifically, because she poked them at the beginning of this paragraph, indicating she �s speaking about them.

Hope this helps!

6 Sep 2010     

uyumlu
Turkey

thanks

6 Sep 2010