Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > AT vs IN    

AT vs IN

ueslteacher
Ukraine

AT vs IN

Dear native speakers,
one of my colleges asks what �s the difference between  "at the park" and "in the park" (at the beach, in the beach likewise).
Looking forward to your replySmile 
Sophia

7 Sep 2010      

Zora
Canada

Hi there Sophia,

In - is very literal as I tell my students. "In the park" would mean something is "inside" the park, like a tree or a bench and doesn�t move from there... A person can also be in the park, meaning he�s somewhere inside the park... 

At - is for something non-permanent. "He is at the park" - would mean that he �s there but only for a while. He could be "at" the park now but 5 minutes later, he might go someplace else and not be there anymore. It is the most fleeting of the prepositions "in, on, at"... 

7 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Sophia (sorry for the ueslteacher before)

As a preposition of place we usually talk about in as referring to someone or something inside large places such as countries, continents, big cities example; He �s in Brazil

AT as a preposiotion of place is usually talked about as referring to lesser places such as villages, small towns, example: i �ll meet you at the library,pub, launderette.

while you can say "at the park" or "in the park" you cannot say "in the beach" 
you can say "at the beach" or "on the beach" but not in.

7 Sep 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Sent a pm to both of youSmile

7 Sep 2010