Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP!!    

HELP!!

medeainside
Spain

HELP!!

Hello everyone!!

Could anybody tell me if I can use the adjective short-minded as a synonym for narrow-minded? Or I�ll put it in another way? Does the word short-minded exist?

ThanksConfused

7 Sep 2010      

lolelozano
Argentina

a syn. of broad minded (narrow-minded) ---> unprincipled,permissive -

the word in the right means roughly the same as the word in the left-hand except that they have negative  rather than positive connotations

I hope it helps.

regards

7 Sep 2010     

medeainside
Spain

Many thanks

Wink

7 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi, I �ve never heard of short-minded.  Short-sighted, yes, but short-minded, no.
Common synonyms for narrow-minded are bigoted, opinionated, parochial, insular, conventional, conservative.  It really depends on the context. Hope this helps.

7 Sep 2010     

claudiafer
Argentina

I need some help too! Can anyone tell me the meaning of the following idiom: "Head your hometown"

8 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

Like ballycastle1, I �ve never heard of short-minded, but have heard of short-sighted. However, I �m also aware of the word small-minded. Could that, perhaps, be the word you meant?

Small-minded is sometimes used as a synonym for narrow-minded, but really has more to do with being petty, nitpicky--obsessed with inconsequential details....mmm, sort of.  Not compulsive-obsessive, but--well, I digress (again).

And, no, I �ve never heard "head your hometown". Couldn �t find it in a corpus or on a search engine, either.

8 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I �ve never heard of "short-minded" nor "head your hometown".

8 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

Could it be "head back to your hometown"?

Bruce

8 Sep 2010