Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > stuck for an expression - what do you call this rhetoric feature?    

stuck for an expression - what do you call this rhetoric feature?

elderberrywine
Germany

stuck for an expression - what do you call this rhetoric feature?

dear colleagues, I �m momentarily stuck for an expression from the realm of rhetoric.
When speakers repeat things in sets of three, what do we call that?
(for example: "We move prosperity ahead. We move freedom ahead. And we move people ahead" - taken from a speech by Arnold Schwarzenegger)

I don �t mean anapora, but particularly a set of three repeated or similar items.
Is it an expression having to do with "cluster"? I can �t for the life of me remember....

8 Sep 2010      

baiba
Latvia

Could it be parallelism?

8 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripartite_motto
Could it be hendiatris?

(I usually call it "the rule of three")

8 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I call it the rule of three too.  It �s an Aristotelian expression.  If it was good enough for him, it �s good enough for me!

8 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Professional presenters refer to it as the "rule of three." The psychology behind it is that, aparently, it gives people a satisfying sense of completeness. 

8 Sep 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

thanks a lot, rule of three sounds good though not as scholarly as anaphora, litotes or other figures of speech!

9 Sep 2010