Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Addresses    

Addresses

chatina7
Mexico

Addresses

Hi there!

I need your help, please. I want to check how to say addresses here in Puebla,Mexico.
  The city is divided in North, South, East, West, but in Spanish: Norte, Sur , Oriente and
  Poniente. :  Here are some addresses. 33 Poniente 208.
                                                             Calle Girasol 208
                                                              Privada 16 sur 233
                                                              Miguel Negrete 3145
 What about the prepositions,( In,on,at )  name of streets, numbers in english or 
 spanish?
 Thanks in advance.

9 Sep 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

http://www.autoenglish.org/telephoneenglish/spelling.htm maybe this can help...

9 Sep 2010     

Emy Lee
Canada

Hi there,

I also teach in Puebla, Mexico, and I regularly face the same problem when teaching adresses.

I don �t know if it �s OK, but since streets are considered proper nouns, I tell my students not to translate the words Norte, Sur, Oriente and Poniente.

From the way I see it, it wouldn �t be right to translate streets. If I translate Calle 31 Poniente, for example, it becomes the 31st Street West, and this street just doesn �t exist in Puebla. I can look for it for hours, I will never find it.

As I said, I don �t know if this is correct. Other teachers might have more suitable suggestions. I hope I could help anyway.

10 Sep 2010