Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question    

Question

Mitsi
France

Question

Can you tell me if it is right now to write  seven  in English with a line through .
Thank you .

11 Sep 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I think "seven" must be written like that "7" in the US and in Great Britain.
At least i �ve never seen it written like that: when people write their phone numbers, address... Although it �s how we write it in France.

have a nice day!
Elodie

11 Sep 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

In Italy we write 7 with the line :)

Silvia

11 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

The seven with a line is definitely European, so it �s not common in the US, but is definitely not considered to be wrong. The letter Z is also written with a line by some people.

Bruce

11 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

My sister who works in the clothing business in the US says they also cross the 7s to make sure it is understood.  I think it has to do with marketing. But we do it in Europe.

11 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Mitsi

What I am going to explain here is for sure. Take it for granted and, if you have some sense of humour, laugh.

7 must be written with the line, because, as I heard recently, when Moises was explaning the ten tables / commands, when he reached the seventh,

You shall not commit adultery

All the men started shouting

CUT, CUT, CUt

and Moises cut the seven

Me, a married woman for more than 30 years, I go on writing seven WITHOUT a crossed line. Just to prevent and avoid

Kisses
Linda

11 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

Big smileBig smile...and now she tells me!!LOL
Oh, Linda, you �ve made my day!Hug

11 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Titi, titi, titi,

So sorry, now you tell me!!!
You could have asked before.Pinch

11 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Mitsi,

Have a look at this.

When I returned from the States, my mom begged me to write the numbers differently again, i.e. the one with a small diagonal line that meets the vertical line at the highest point of the numeral, and the seven with the line again. People generally recognize the seven with a line, in some countries the seven without a line could be mistaken for a one. When living in the States I saw numerous people checking completed forms in order to figure out what the person that wrote them meant: one or seven.

So, NO, the horizontal line is not required, but can be used. I second yanogator here.

11 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

OuchNever even thought of it!! Mind you, I �m glad to hear you don �t  cut the sevens,He! He!

My best regards to Mr Olinda!LOL
edit / I�m sorry Blunderbuster�s post & mine crossed... & I agree : When I lived in the UK, everyone used to write seven without a line, so that we could tell the difference between One & seven. All my British colleagues here write seven without that line, but I do not know if it is a rule.
When speaking about members, I was really surprised a few years ago to notice that British kids were helpless at understanding Roman numbers. I had 50 ( English) kids have a quiz round Bath, & I was surprised to see that they could not read X as ten, eg...
We keep learning, don�t we? ;o))

11 Sep 2010     

Mitsi
France

Thank you very much  everyone and thank you   Linda for your nice explanation .
Well, I never write 7 with a line and I always tell my pupils to do the same. I will go on like this!
Have a nice weekend!
Mitsi.

11 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >