Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > LESSON PLANS: I īd like your opinions....     

LESSON PLANS: I īd like your opinions....

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi again

I can sense that the lack of detailed planning when someone has to substitute is bothering you. My principal has in his office a week īs worth of planning from all the teachers in my school. Maybe you can ask your teachers the same thing.

Also, if you want your teachers to hand in detailed planning, you do realize that this is time consuming and you can īt ask them, on top of that, to get training on their own time. 

Each teacher have their own styles when it comes to planning. I think it īs more important to have teachers that speak English and care about their students than to have a good planner on paper, which does not guarantee good teaching and good class management.

12 Sep 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

Myself, I don īt think it īs wrong to ask teachers to prepare for their lessons. As an experienced teacher, however, I extremely dislike having to WRITE DOWN my preparations. The feeling is that the requirement comes not from quality assurance so much as a lack of confidence in my abilities. Micromanagement (i.e. writing down plans for every lesson) has a way of fostering that feeling in a staff. Please remember that not everyone needs to write down their lesson plan in order to have a plan or do a good job.

One school I worked at had a good system. They asked us to write down lesson reports after our class. This took away the feeling of mistrust and lightened the sense of busywork since the reports were kept simple.

My two cents.... Hope it helps.

12 Sep 2010     

lypau
Mexico

hello

in the place i work i īm the english leader or coordinator and I do agree about planning and the lack of good teachers. I just would like you to keep this in mind, teaching is not as easy as it seems and as you said it īs really necessary to plan our activities. what we are working on to avoid teaching problems or not working on lesson plans is:

1. As the leader I ask them for their lesson plans every day and i sign them just to know they are doing them

2. I taught them what is a good lesson plan and how to make it in an easy way but explaining the details (as you want). so they don īt spend so much time doing them.

3. Make a master planner for all the classes all of you are giving so you work in the same way and you will avoid students complaints.

just as a comment, and don īt take in the wrong way. I think it īs easy to complain about the lack of good teachers. but experience makes good teachers, also how can i ask them to do something i haven īt taught them how to do it? 

teach what you are asking them for, make a special format so they know what they must write and supervise they do it, it īs not necessary to enter all class to see how they work just leave your class for a couple of minutes and check what they do.

and the most important remember you are a team, so work as a team, help each other, share ideas, and trust on them. confidence makes thing easier when you are a team.

hope it helps

12 Sep 2010     

imelda
Mexico

hi mar, its me again and im extremely curious as to where you live because i am in guanajauto too... and here in irapuato we have quite a lot of great teachers...

12 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3