Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need ideas and suggestions    

Need ideas and suggestions

Kholoud
United Arab Emirates

Need ideas and suggestions

Hello All,

A group of teachers and I have developed a site for the local teachers in our area to share ideas and experiences.  We�re trying hard to shift the teaching style from the typical and traditional teaching style to more students centered. The only problem we�re facing is our topics are very limited due the lack of members and ideas.  we might have missed something in the site that we don�t realize. Could you guys have a look at it and inspire us with your great ideas and suggestions?  

The site : www.uaeteachers.webs.com

12 Sep 2010      

viccxx
Greece

I �ve just visited the site and it �s very well structured. Maybe you could put in some free resources for teachers to draw more people in. Also, the purpose of the site as you have explained it in the post isn �t in my humble opinion very clear in the home page of the site. Other than that it is a great site and I �m sure you �ll have more members than you can accommodate very soon. You just need to get a few more people �s attention to get you started.
Keep up the good work!

12 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

What a great idea and attractive, well-organized site!  Good work.

Since you �re asking for ideas, I �ll offer two:
1)  Remember that these thinks start slow and build.  Think viral.  How do you develop the content and get the word out to people who will be so enthused about it that they �ll spread the word without any push from you?

2)  I think your goal is a good one.  However, try to look at it from another perspective:  that of the teachers you �re hoping to reach.  Maybe go to some of the teachers you really think need to change and find out what they �re thinking, especially what would make it worth their while (from their point of view) to take the time to visit this website--not just once, but regularly.  What could you offer on the site that they want?  The idea of free resources in the previous response is a good start. 
Sometimes we want to change people and we think we know what they need/should do, but it �s hard to remember how we feel when someone tries to do that to us.  It works better if the people themselves want to change.  How does shifting to student-centered teaching benefit teachers?  Some will want to do it for the challenge of something new and up-to-date; others because they see Ss learn better; maybe others are willing to try one new technique or activity that seems to keep the Ss busy for awhile and that �s just a relief; etc., etc., etc.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Sue

12 Sep 2010     

Kholoud
United Arab Emirates

viccxx & Sue

thanks a bunch  for your great ideas
I �m working on them :)

13 Sep 2010