Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > transcription online    

transcription online

mish.cz
Czech Republic

transcription online

Hello, my dear colleagues and friends,

I �m looking for a site which would show the phonetic transcription of a sentence that I write. Does anybody use such a site and would be so kind and give me the address?�

Thank you very much in advance,�

Greetings, Mish

12 Sep 2010      

baiba
Latvia

Hi Mish

I �ve never seen a site which would transcribe what you write. I �d like to hear it too if someone knows of such software.
There is a site though where you can type the pronunciation yourself http://ipa.typeit.org/

12 Sep 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Dear Baiba,�

thank you, I found this one and it would be nice but you know what: I �m never 100% sure that my transcription is correct. I mean I can read it without problems, but my weakness is transcribing it correctly for my kids�Embarrassed I found this site http://upodn.com/phun.asp but I don �t think it is fully correct, so I wanted to try if somebody uses something so that I can compare it and be sure as it would be really proven by my colleagues�

Hugs, Mish

12 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Mish, the link that Baiba gave you lets you cut and paste the transcription in here. If you post your things here, I can proof them for you...... ɾʃθ�ʒɪːɔʊ (just playing with the signs;o)

12 Sep 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Interesting site, Mish! But you may be right regarding its reliability.

I typed a few words and saw the transcription was not very precise, at least according to Oxford English dictionary (write eastward or plumber, as an example).

12 Sep 2010     

Fabiola R
Argentina

What you can do is to download the IPA keyboard so that you can type the sentence using phonetics symbols..
That program does not change ordinary spelling into phonetics. You have to do it...
=)

12 Sep 2010     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Hi my dear colleagues,
I�ve been looking for some editor of English transcription for  a long time. Three weeks ago, I was succesful, at last. Wink So, I �d like to commend it to you. You can download it  from here

I�m sure you�ll be satisfied as I am. It is easy to work with it.
Have a nice Sunday evening (at least here in Europe).
Oto

12 Sep 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Oto, thank you very much! That �s a great find!

12 Sep 2010