Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Finish as an intransitive verb    

Finish as an intransitive verb

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Let me see if I can help a little bit more with your �intransitive finish � doubt.

To finish has an intransitive sense when it �s possible to substitute it for the verb TO END.
And most dictionaries imply a BRITISH ENGLISH use for this idea.

Ex.: Winter finishes at the end of March.
       My school finishes at 4:00 pm.

All the examples I could think of have an idea of TIME, never the idea of USE.

Hope to have helped.
Regards
Bruna.

13 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

This would never be said in Br Eng.  What might be said in a good-humoured fashion is �Is my beer finished again? �, where the speaker is looking for someone to buy him another drink, but I stress that this would be said jokingly, when the speaker feels it �s not his turn to buy the next round.

13 Sep 2010     

ishu
Turkey

I see :) Thanks Bruna and bally and everybody else for taking the time to respond to my question:)

Isil

13 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

How about "The beer has finished another one." (pointing to the drunk passed-out under the table)LOL

13 Sep 2010     

belfer
United States

Good one Douglas Smile

13 Sep 2010     

Abdou1980
Morocco

to the best of my knowledge, we can say: yesterday,   the game finished with the score at 1-1. imagine that the game has just finished, in this respect, we can say: the game has  finshed or has the game finished?
the expression u came up with is correct.

13 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2