Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > pets ´ corner    

pets ´ corner

pauguzman
Argentina

pets ´ corner

I need your help!!!
 I ´m confused with a term that appears in English Adventure 4, unit 5.
A girl says: there was a playground and a pets ´ corner too.... what ´s the meaning of pets ´ corner? is it an animal hospital?
thanks in advance, Paula

13 Sep 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

I assume it is a part inside a park where pets can run without a leash etc.....

13 Sep 2010     

pauguzman
Argentina

thanks a loot!!! we don ´t have that kind of place in my city
HugPaula

13 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

In addition to what Blunderbuster has said, in this context, a pets ´ corner is a section of a park or zoo where children can pick up/feed the animals/birds.  There aren ´t the same restrictions about staying outside the animals ´ enclosure that normally operate.

13 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I know that area in a zoo where children can touch and feed the animals as a "petting zoo".  A "pet corner" in a park (to me) is an area where your pets can run without a leash.

I guess the difference could just depend on what side of the Atlantic you come from though.

13 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

If I can speak about my experience...

When my children were real, lovely kids ( LOL - they grow up so fast ) we travelled a lot and visited many kind of amusing parks. It was very common, I found it in several countries, a pets ´ corner. The pets belonged to the park, people weren ´t allowed to take their own pets away with them.
My opinion, unfortunately many, many kids grow up in big cities, away from the contact with common animals, for instance, chickens.

In those corners you would meet chickens, rabbits, dogs, cats, several birds, sheep, pigs, special pavillions for butterflies, well, common animals, but animals that have turned kind of strange for most kids living in big cities. So it was a place where kids could play with animals, feed them, hugg them, that sort of things.

I remember once, I had a purse, made of straw, a big one full with everything a mummy needs to carry for her kids; well, it was a little heavy and I put it on the ground while we were taking some photos. Guess what! When I turned back to fetch it, a lovely goat was eating it. I felt like killing it, my wonderful purse !!!!!!

13 Sep 2010     

pauguzman
Argentina

thanks a lot for your help!! you rock!!!
Olindalima: funny experience, though I would kill anybody for my wonderful purse !!LOL

13 Sep 2010