Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Art    

Art

Urpi
Peru

Art

Hi colleagues from around the world:
Today I have to start a unit which talks about Art specially paintings, sculptures and their creators (artists), Can I adapt it with other art expressions like music, movies, or how can make it more interesting to them. Sometimes they don �t even  know about those artists or they just say they don �t like art.
Thanks for any suggestion you may have.
Urpi

13 Sep 2010      

cheezels
New Zealand

There was a member here who did a nice series on artists/art if I recall... but that is as far as my memory serves me sorry... Maybe someone else remembers who?

13 Sep 2010     

arlissa
United States

You might make it more interesting to them by helping them create a piece of art of their own...

13 Sep 2010     

serene
Greece

Venezababi has made a series of worksheets about painting.

13 Sep 2010     

chokosaki
United States

Here are some ideas...

--Maybe the students can be paired up and must give a presentation to the class about a certain artist using pictures and other mediums.

--Students can create their own masterpiece in the style of a certain artist.

--Prepare a jeopardy like game complete with simple prizes and what not.

--Have brief descriptions of artists and their works.  Also, have pictures of their works.  Students could each be given separate pictures of the works (no student has the same) and after they read the description together, they have to put the work with the artist �s name. 

--Let students describe how the different pieces make them feel.

--Let students choose their own favorite piece of art and present it to the class and tell why they like it.

--If you wanted to add music to it, that would be fun.  A way to do this would be to preteach different genres (if the students don �t already know them).  Then, you could talk about the different artists you want to introduce them to.  Afterward, have a �what if � activity ready.  The activity could be something like �if this artist was still alive today, what music do you think he or she would listen to � or �what music do you think influenced this artist �s work �?

--A field trip to a museum would be ideal, but if this can �t be done...before class begins you can set up pictures of paintings and sculptures around the class and go on a pretend field trip...complete with a tour guide and maybe even prerecorded descriptions of the work/artist (somewhat like when you go to a museum and you get the headphones).  Maybe the students would be more interested if they can see the works while they are listening to the descriptions and the story of that piece (IE hearing about Da Vinci cutting off his ear while looking at the Mona Lisa.)

Anyways, I hope some of this is helps!

14 Sep 2010