Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "WHAT PAGE ARE WE ON?" OR "WHAT PAGE ARE WE UP TO?"    

"WHAT PAGE ARE WE ON?" OR "WHAT PAGE ARE WE UP TO?"

yolprica
Spain

"WHAT PAGE ARE WE ON?" OR "WHAT PAGE ARE WE UP TO?"

Thanks in advance for your help

Yolanda

14 Sep 2010      

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi Yolanda, I �ve always used both.  Dare I say, I �ve also used �What page are we at? �

14 Sep 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

Both are proper and interchangeable in most cases. They mean the same thing when you are going through a text linearly (that is in order from beginning to end). They are slightly different however. Consider this situation: 

A class is using a certain textbook but they are not doing it in order. Instead, they are jumping around. One lesson they do pages 25 to 27. The next lesson maybe they do pages 156 to 160. In this case it would be incorrect to say "What page are we up to?" since �up to � implies a completion of everything that came before the page you are up to. Get it? You would have to say, "What page are we on today?" or "What page(s) are we doing today?" since it changes every time and doesn �t go in order.

So, to sum it up: When you go in order both sentences are okay. When you jump around and don �t go in order only "What page are we on?" is okay. 

Great questions, btw! Hope that helps! I love questions like this! Challenging!

Timo

14 Sep 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Hi Yolanda

Completely agree with both PPs (previous posters)

14 Sep 2010     

hdefined
United States

If you �re jumping around, I wouldn �t using either, since there �s not necessarily any agreed upon page to be on. I would simply ask, "What page?"

15 Sep 2010