Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Past Simple Passive    

Past Simple Passive

GIOVANNI
Canada

Past Simple Passive

Would you consider this to be Simple Past Passive and why?

I tried to make coffee, but the coffee machine was broken.

14 Sep 2010      

imelda
Mexico

I think that it isnt passive voice because broken is being used as an adjective not as a verb.

14 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

I �d have to say yes, because you "could" rewrite the sentence like this: (although it sounds slightly weird).

I tried to make coffee, but somebody broke the coffee machine (earlier).

Although, truthfully I �d say that "broken" is acting more like an adjective here.

"I tried to make coffee since the coffee machine is new."

"I tried to make coffee but the coffee machine was old and not working."

14 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

I �m going to disagree with you, Linda. Since somebody broke it earlier, we �d use the past perfect: "I tried to make coffee, but somebody had broken the coffee machine".

I definitely agree with your last part, though, and with imelda. "Broken" is being used as an adjective.

Bruce

14 Sep 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Thanks for your answers.  I would also tend to think it is being used as an adjective, but I was wondering if it could be used as passive in any way. 

14 Sep 2010     

hdefined
United States

You would never use it as a passive verb in this instance, although if you really wanted a passive verb, you could say:

"I tried to make coffee, but the coffee machine had been smashed to bits."

15 Sep 2010