Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary crarification    

Vocabulary crarification

valentinaper
Greece

Vocabulary crarification

Hello, fellow teachers!
Just a quick question: Do we say "find my death" or "meet my death"? I know it �s kind of spooky, but one of my students asked and I said I would get back to her... Thank you all for being there when there �s need!
Valentina

15 Sep 2010      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

My opinion, I think you find something when you are looking for it, for instance you lost your keys, but then you found them.

On the other way, you are walking home and you see a friend, you say - I met a friend, because it happened, you were not looking for him.
Let �s wait for some more posts, I am not a native.

I hope you may meet your death when you get so, but so old that you prefer that.
( Wacko  really spoky , LOL )
Linda

15 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I think it �s meet your death with pride - sort of a noble warrior �s code, you know. Although find your death, if you �re a poet and need such a phrase, is also possible...

15 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Valentina,
It is unusual to see it written as "Meet my death" but it would never be seen as "find my death"
A  more common usage would be "he met his death blah, blah, blah"

Good luck

15 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

You could "find death" waiting around a corner... but that would be a poetic usage as we are referring to "Death" here as in the Grim Reaper.

"To meet my/your maker" - means that you might die soon, hence the "maker" part meaning "God" or whoever else you might believe in.

"Tom is sure to meet his maker soon if he keeps smoking like that."

15 Sep 2010     

valentinaper
Greece

You are all so kind! Thank you very much!

15 Sep 2010