Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Doubt: verb to be - negative - short form    

Doubt: verb to be - negative - short form

mourisca
Portugal

Doubt: verb to be - negative - short form

Dear colleagues:
when you teach the short form of the verb to be - negative, do you teach, for example: "she �s not" / "she isn �t" or just "she isn �t"?
And what about the first person, singular... do you teach "I �m not"? I ask this because in some coursebooks I read that the short form is considered the same as the long form: I am not...
Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences!

15 Sep 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

well, I do think we should teach both forms (long and short) at the same time, and when the pupils are older we should tell them that "I am not" can have a slightly different meaning sometimes = when NOT is stressed, the person wants to stress something he is NOT (ex: "you �re English, right? I am not! I �m Scottish!!!"
with older pupils, you can also teach "I ain �t" because they might hear it in songs/movies... so they need to know that this form exists...
have a nice evening!
Elodie

15 Sep 2010     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

Hi mourisca,
Both forms are acceptable and SHOULD be taught, as well as "I �m not"...

Now, about the form "I ain �t"... I think you may say it is used only in oral discourse / spoken language... not in written discourse (for older students, of course)

Have a nice school year start :)

15 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I �d teach both short and long forms.

I also suggest that you advise your students to NEVER use the word ain �t.  You can tell them what it means and how it �s used, but they shouldn �t use it.

15 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Douglas
Taking a lift in this post... can I ask you ?

Why ??

"  .... your students to NEVER use the word ain �t. ..... "

Well I am not native, I don �t usually teach this form, but I never thought I shouldn �t teach it. Is there any special thing about this that I don �t know ?

Hope you read this answer, otherwise I �ll pm you, you crossed my mind /brain , everything.

Linda

16 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I second Douglas on this one.   I would never suggest that students use this contraction.  Web entries will tell you that this is a very common colloquialism used by all social classes.  Er... no it �s not.  Granted, it is in use in some areas of the UK as a dialect expression,  but unless you actually live in those areas where it is quite rightly acceptable, or are trying to be humorous, you will be perceived as uneducated i.e. not literate.  This is not snobbery, just how it is.

16 Sep 2010     

hdefined
United States

I agree with Bally. "Ain �t" either suggests an urban upbringing or a lack of education, and in the former situation, it �s used to show off attitude, which isn �t advisable in professional or academic environments.

16 Sep 2010     

arlissa
United States

I don �t agree with telling students to NEVER use "ain �t." That suggests to the student that it �s a rude word or even bordering on cussing, neither of which are true about this word (at least not in the USA). Though it does tend to associate itself with a lack of proper education, it can still be used playfully or culturally amongst all educational and socio-economic backgrounds (again, at least in the USA). I believe that students should be taught this word. It�s used in American pop culture, especially music. It �s also used in famous classic literature such as Zora Neal Hurston�s "Their Eyes Were Watching God" and many other Southern or Harlem Renaissance works.

You know, even if you don �t like this word due to it �s lack of propriety, you really can �t control the fluidity of the English language. I think students should be taught as much slang as possible if they plan to obtain jobs or schooling in English-speaking countries. Sure, explain that these are words used in a more casual atmosphere, but I would never tell them to NOT use a word unless it �s derogatory, etc.

16 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Of course it �s used in classic literature if it �s reflecting a particular strand of society. It �s �street language �. 
Students should know about the word, but advising them not to use it doesn �t imply it is swearing or �bad �, rather it could save them from using it inappropriately.

16 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

My reason for suggesting that students be told not to use the word ain �t:

It is correct that "ain �t" is effectively used by all levels of society, the problem is that it is almost impossible for a non-native speaker to really understand all of the nuances in its use.  The chances are VERY high that its use will not come across as desired, which can put the speaker in an uncomfortable situation that may negatively affect the conversation.

I strongly believe that the word ain �t should be taught and that students be made aware of its use.  However, I also believe that they should be advised not to use it--in the same way I advise students not to use the double-negative even though it too has its place in speech.

"and there ain �t nothin � else I have to say about that."

Douglas

16 Sep 2010