Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > What about MP3 files on the site recorded by the members of ESLprintables (the native speakers)?    

What about MP3 files on the site recorded by the members of ESLprintables (the native speakers)?

Sonn
Russian Federation

What about MP3 files on the site recorded by the members of ESLprintables (the native speakers)?

An idea struck me today: why don �t we allow mp3 here? There are a lot of native speakers on the site and all the teachers need audio files e.g. poems, nursery rhymes, fables  etc. I quite understand that such files can be found on the Internet, but it takes time to find them. Maybe the members could record some set phases, cliches, examples of using some grammar rules etc.

I also understand that such files wiil take space on the server. Maybe a new site would be done like it was done with englishexercises, but I �m absolutely sure it will be very popular. The members who record the files could get much points because this work is not an easy one.  The non-native ESL teachers could ask to record some short texts or cliches etc. and the native speaker who has time and possibility could do it and get points for the work. Besides, the native speaker could upload the files s/he recorded him/herself. Maybe there are gifted people among them who write songs, poems of tales.

What do you think?

16 Sep 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello...I came across this site a while back and while it doesn �t give you perfect diction every time it �s worth a look at. You can print anything you want and it will turn it into WAV format. You can choose from BE and AE. Let us know what you think. Ed

16 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

I LOVE your idea, Natalia! 

I actually recorded a couple of brief (3-5 minute) interviews (one for lower and one for higher level students) awhile ago with a friend who runs a gardening business.  I planned to create a few worksheets based on them.  However, I hadn �t yet figured out how to post the recordings on the Web somewhere where people could download them.  I thought about telling people who downloaded the worksheets to send me a PM and I �d email them the MP3 recordings  (and I still could do that, I suppose), but it would be SO much easier if they could download the recording from this website the same way as the worksheets, etc.

I, too, realize this would likely take a LOT more storage capability, but wow, think of the possibilities!

Sue

16 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Natalia,

I don �t want to brag here and I do understand why you wrote what you wrote, but there are non-native speakers that sound just like one (from an objective point of view).

Also, not all native speakers speak correctly, even teachers, I mean, today I had to ask some fellow German teachers what the correct intonation of "Telefon" was and, guess what, some didn �t know, I was unsure myself, that�s why I asked, but lucky me, I didn�t have to change my data ;o) Lucky me, I wrote!

Regards

16 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Making a listening that is enjoyable and worth listening to requires much more than just speaking a language perfectly....the reading itself, the pausing, the raising and lowering your voice is quite a challenge, a few weeks ago, I recorded something for a comprehensive exam  that other people gave ...well, I did it over a few times......

16 Sep 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Regina, I quite understand what you are talking about because native speakers of Russian sometimes make mistakes while speaking or writing [in Russian]. But I think it gives the opportunity to see the trends in prononcing some words, in intionation and grammar. Of course, there can be many reasons why people pronounce some words incorrectly.

16 Sep 2010