Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need a word...    

I need a word...

poleta
Spain

I need a word...

What word do you use for a kind of gown that chikldren wear in the kindergarden to protect their clothes when they paint...

Is it smock? Pinafore? Apron?...

In Spain we call it "baby"

thank you in advance

16 Sep 2010      

Laly59
Spain

Hi dear, I call child�s overall. I hope help you

16 Sep 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I �ve heard it called a smock. Ed

16 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

That would be called a "smock". Smile

An apron is this:

A pinafore - and while a pinafore looks somewhat like an apron or even a smock, it is not used for "keeping your clothes clean".  It is a normal item in a wardrobe, to be worn like a dress.

16 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

I�d call it a smock, too.  Maybe even a paint(ing) smock.  If you choose "images" on google or bing and type in "paint smock", you�ll get a number of photos that look a lot like the one you posted.

You might be interested in this recent discussion thread about almost the same topic (smock, pinafore, apron, overalls, etc.):  http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=22111

16 Sep 2010     

dennismychina
China

This is one definition. A pinafore (colloquially pinny in British English) is a sleeveless garment worn as an apron Pinafores are often confused with smocks. Some languages do not differentiate between these different garments. The pinafore differs from a smock in that it does not have sleeves and there is no back to the bodice. Smocks have both sleeves and a full bodice, both front and back.
Enjoy.

16 Sep 2010     

poleta
Spain

Thank you everybody!!!

16 Sep 2010     

Laly59
Spain

Hi everybody, I know like pinafore this: A pinafore is a full apron with two holes for the arms that is tied or buttoned in the back, for that it�s my confusion because our "baby" for spanish people is the same than smock, sorry. It�s true that each country is a different world.

16 Sep 2010