Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > teaching new words    

teaching new words

sadoon
Oman

teaching new words

imagine that you are teaching some new words and cant decide whether to say the words first or write them on the whiteboard. which one do you decide and why?

16 Sep 2010      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Since all of us were taught with visual + verbal aid and only had contact with the written word at school - some years later, I use the same order: picture + spoken word (or video containing both) and after they get familiarized with it and learn how to use it and insert in their lives and topics (grammar and vocabulary) previously taught, they have contact with the written words in text to be read and homeword, to practice writing it.

In addition, I prefer to present blocks of related words to be learned at the same time in a context (story, video, comic strip. etc.) and after doing the homeword I check their learning with a conversation class, when they have the chance to completely connect the new words to their ideas, opinions and test all the possibilities of use.

16 Sep 2010