Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ideas to teach German A1 to a class where there īs a blind 16year old boy - 7 hours per week    

Ideas to teach German A1 to a class where there īs a blind 16year old boy - 7 hours per week

a isabel
Portugal

Ideas to teach German A1 to a class where there īs a blind 16year old boy - 7 hours per week

Hi dear colleagues,

In spite of having already received some help, I īd like to see if anyone else has more ideas. No copies (lack of money), many OHP out of order, not enough rooms where we can use the computer...  I more worried about the blind - how do you usually deal with the fact that the rest of the class wants videos, pictures films  but a blind person can īt enjoy..? 
Any suggestion is most welcome!
Thanks a lot for your help!
AIsabel

18 Sep 2010      

elderberrywine
Germany

I don īt think I can help you here.
Just one thought: a blind person is probably quite used to coping in a video-, film - , picture- oriented world and working via listening. Blind people even "watch" TV so somehow they must enjoy it.
And if you get the other pupils to describe a picture or a freeze image from a film to the blind student you create an atmosphere of cooperation and a German exercise at the same time!

18 Sep 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

One more idea.
I think I would tackle this by not thinking that I have to do something for this student, but with an idea of cooperation. Let this young person show you his needs cooperate with him in order to find a way to teach him. He (or was it a she?) is definitely old enough to tell you what works with him and what doesn īt.
I would tell him: hey, you must teach me how to teach you. I īve got lots of German to offer and you tell me how to wrap it up in order to get it across to you.
See what I mean?
In this way you take the pressure off yourself and take this adolescent seriously and make him take charge.
(sorry if i expressed this somewhat clumsily, my head is full of flu and devoid of English and clear thought!)

19 Sep 2010