Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > QUESTION    

QUESTION

cristinacarre
Spain

QUESTION

Hello, I need know if we can say:" Don �t speak while the teacher is speaking"
thanks

this is one of my rules, can it be?

18 Sep 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Sounds perfectly alright to me...

18 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I usually say �We can �t talk at the same time �, but I don �t see anything wrong with your sentence...

18 Sep 2010     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

It sounds ok, but I �d say "Don �t interrupt while the teacher is speaking!".

18 Sep 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

i don �t like how  your sentence sounds,,,, it is like you are the centre of attention!!!!!!!!and remember that our students are the ones that are learning.... so, you should agree the moments in which they have to listen to you....

18 Sep 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i have been taught that when we make rules for our students  we should never write or tell them using the negative form always in a positive way for example instead of dont talk while the teacher is speaking you can say talk when the teacher gives you  your turn or something like that..  or always listen when the teacher is speaking ... i dont remember the theory on what that was based but  it was one of the behaviorist guys we are taught in college.

18 Sep 2010     

foreign
Slovenia

I think it �s something to do with the fact that the brain doesn �t recognize the word �no �. So if you say to the students �Don �t run � or �Don �t speak �, they are going to run and speak. But if you say �Walk slowly � or �Be quiet �, then they are more likely to process that correctly in their heads.

18 Sep 2010     

cristinacarre
Spain

thank you very much.

thanks

cristina

19 Sep 2010     

hdefined
United States

"Don �t interrupt while the teacher is speaking!"

This is a bit redundant. Use "Don �t interrupt the teacher" instead.

The sentence in the original question was fine, though.

20 Sep 2010