Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > first lesson with adults    

first lesson with adults

ivush
Czech Republic

first lesson with adults

Hello friends,

any ideas what to do for a first lesson with slightly pre-intermediate adult students? Thank you! 

19 Sep 2010      

GIOVANNI
Canada

When I start a class I have each student put his or her name on a piece of paper.  I then collect the pieces of paper and distribute a paper to a different student.  I have the student ask questions such as: 

What is your name?
What do you do?
Where are you from?
Why are you taking English?
Is this your first time taking English?
etc.

I then have other students ask that particular students general questions.  That way everyone in the class gets to know a little about one another and gets a chance to speak.

19 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I �m just preparing such a lesson!! I �m going to start a new course (A2) tomorrow and another one (B1) on Tuesday, so at the moment I �m printing all my "find someone who" sheets, because my personal experience with this speaking activity is a very good one. ;))

I can send those documents to you if you like - they �re not from ESLP. ;) A few years ago, I made a couple of sheets for upper-elementary and pre-intermediate ss myself, and I �ve copied some more difficult ones from a photocopiable teachers � resource book and created 2 extra sheets.

19 Sep 2010     

jannabanna
France

When I start a new group I have two ice-breakers which work well.

The first one is to hand out A4 sheets of paper and ask each student to draw the person opposite.  Just a caricature being sure to emphasize things like glasses, earrings, hairstyle, etc so that we can guess who it is.  Include yourself (if you have an even number of students, do your own yourself)  When finished, collect up the sheets and shuffle them.  Take the first caricature and show the class saying: �who�s this?�  Check with the �artist� to be sure it IS that person.  He or She should then introduce him/herself to the class.  The others can ask questions (depending on the level of the class, of course) and so on around the class.

The second one is to draw a quick map of the country on the board and ask each student to come up and mark where they were born and say something about the town, finishing off by saying something about themselves.  This works really well with intermediate students.

Have fun

19 Sep 2010     

kowalskar
Poland

Hello,

I �m planning to prepare my adult students to take active part in the lessons all year round. Therefore I �m going to prepare something like a poster, which will raise their motivation.

The core question will be: Why do we learn English ?

then students will have to add their own ideas and somehow their goals. At the end you should display the poster and let it stay on a board for some months to give the students impression that what they have written is their aim to achieve.

Another thing I �m planning is to prepare , so called: SECRET CARDS

I ask students to write, all in capital letters, some pieces of information about themselves. Then I collect the cards and spread them on the board face down. Each student uncovers the card and reads out the info. Once he/she has done it, students will have to guess who the person might be.
To expand the task you can then ask students to prepare some questions based on the answers they have just heard.

Hope to help you :)

23 Sep 2010     

cheerup
Germany

Why don �t you start here ... Wink

Mind your language - The first lesson

23 Sep 2010