Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Easter    

Easter

yanogator
United States

Actually, it �s not 40 days after Ash Wednesday, because that would be a Monday. It �s actually 46 days after Ash Wednesday. That �s not really a good way to explain it, though, because Lent (which begins on Ash Wednesday) is defined as the period before Easter, so Ash Wednesday is determined by counting back 46 days from Easter.

I don �t see why "the first Sunday after the Spring full moon" (as Mish said) wouldn �t make sense, since that �s a purely calendar explanation, with nothing religious involved in the eplanation.

As far as the origin of the word Easter, there are differing opinions about it. Some say that it comes from a goddess named Eostre, or even Ishtar, and others, including the Roman Catholic church say that it comes from the word "east".

I hope this doesn �t confuse things too much.

Bruce

20 Sep 2010     

viccxx
Greece

As far as I can remember, the way the church determines the date for Easter is indeed the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. The reason why the roman Catholic and the Eastern Orthodox churches don �t always coincide is that the Orthodox churches still use the old calendar (the Julian calendar) when they are determining religious holidays, even if the use the new one( the Gragorian calendar) every day, like the Greek Othodox church. Some Orthodox churches refused to use the Gregorian calendar, even if it scientifically more sound, because a pope, Pope Gregory XIII, had devised it.

20 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2