Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (Redux 1)    

Word of the Day (Redux 1)

almaz
United Kingdom

Word of the Day (Redux 1)

Frank has graciously passed the chalice to me. There �s going to be a slight change, however. I �ve noticed that our colleagues who �re not in or around the European time zone tend not to participate in the game as much (they �re usually sleeping or razzling it up at the local speakeasy - you know what teachers are like -  when the game kicks off), so I plan to give the word now and repeat it in the morning, Spanish time.

Today �s word is houghmagandy. The best (wittiest, funniest, most surreal etc) definition gets to choose tomorrow �s Word of the Day but, remember, no lifts from the dictionary, online or otherwise.

Besta luck!

Alex

20 Sep 2010      

Zora
Canada

LOL... I actually DO know what the word means BUT since I like to make up words, I am going to act as if I didn �t since it �s sooo much more fun this way...

houghmagandy - is what the Scots might say instead of "Oh, my God..." (think of the word being said with a nice Scottish burr... )

i.e. : "Houghmagandy! Mum �s gonna whip us for trampling her flowers..."

21 Sep 2010     

Isabelucha
Portugal

ahahah! This is really funny! I don �t know what houghmagandy is... but, i also like these kinds of games. ok, so,...........................
houghmagandy - is what people would say if they saw Gandhi (Mahatma) walking along their cities again. "Houghma...... Gandhi!!!! No way!"

21 Sep 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

hough = wow
 ma = french for my
gandy = short  for gander -  a male goose

This is what a caveman would say when he sees a male goose that he is ready to club.

21 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Houghmagandy"

The word is of Irish origin.  "Hough" rhymes with "rough" and "tough".  The present-day spelling is "huff", meaning "to irritate, offend, annoy".

"Ma" is self-evidently the Gaelic Possessive Pronoun, "my", (see Crystal D, 2009, page 42).

"Gandy" was originally a Sanskrit word, describing a complicated family relationship, and the Celts readily adopted it.  A machine translation of the Irish phrase, "ma gandy", gives us: "My father �s father, who, because of his bad back, was unable to have children".

"Houghmagandy" = "To annoy ones paternal grandfather with stupid remarks".

21 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

It means that Mother is in a huff because father has been looking at other women.

hough: huff
ma: mother
gandy: gander, to look 

21 Sep 2010     

juliag
Japan

Stop stealing my geese!

hough - in a huff (because you are stealing)
ma - my
gandy - gander - geese

21 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

Alex, thanks for the change in time so I can play, too!

OK, according to Les, "hough rhymes with rough and tough"--like the Big Bad Wolf was going to hough and pough and blow the little pigs� houses in.*  I can buy that.

So, let �s see, this was before the pigs started their home construction business, when BB Wolf was just a cub. He used to huff and puff (oops--I meant "hough and pough") and blow the geese �s feathers all over. The geese hated it, so whenever a farmer saw the cub heading towards his flock, he �d chase it off, yelling, "You �re not going to hough-ma-gandy again!"

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Little_Pigs

21 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

Houghmagandy--isn �t he an actor (Hugh Magandy)?

21 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Yes - He �s a great actor! LOL

Hough (rhyming with �though �) is an old spelling of �hoe � .
Ma - mother
Gandy - a variant spelling of the old English surname Gandee (of Suffolk) 

This is an ancient farm implement  invented by John Gandee in 1427 so his mother could hoe her vegetable garden.

21 Sep 2010