Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day...    

Word of the Day...

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Word of the Day...

Hello, everybody! :))

I feel honoured, because Alex (almaz) said he liked the definition I had made up for yesterday�s word "houghmagandy"!! Wow, I can hardly believe that it�s my turn to choose the next word, however, here you go:

Scorthoparthenism

As usual, don �t post any pictures or definitions from dictionaries, PLEASE! Wink

Have fun - Silke

22 Sep 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Scorthoparthenism

Although, in linguistics, change is inevitable, (except from a canteen vending machine), this word is unusual.  It retains its original form.

Virtually every student at Glasgow University of Art and Political Orthodoxy, (GUAPO), is a �Scot�, which when pronounced with the local Glaswegian accent, becomes �Sc-or-t�.

The rest is self-evident.

Whenever a student (SCORT) skips (HOP) the boring Art (ART) lessons, and then (THEN) switches to Communism (ISM), it is called "Scort-hop-art-then-ism".

�THE ACTION OF JUMPING OUT OF THE FRYING PAN, INTO THE FIRE�.

I am of Scottish origin and I would not wish to belittle Scottish academic ability.

(As a point of clarification, the opposite of �belittle� is not �bebig�).

At Melrose Academy of Fiscal Intervention and Art (MAFIA), one gifted student achieved a Double Honours Degree, in Art and Mathematics.

He is now an expert at �Painting by Numbers�.

Les

22 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Les has given such a great answer, even if it is wrong.

"Scorthoparthenism" means Scorched Earth Policy, a form of warfare which was first enacted by the ancient Parthians. You just need to know your history.

David 

22 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Oooh, this looks like a fun game
Can I play?Big smile
Anticipating the answer to be positive, here �s my definition;

Scor- West london slang for SCORE
Tho- West London slang for TOEPOKE
Part- West London slang for PARTNERS or TEAM MATES
Henism- A phsycological disease that affects hens, making them shiver(and thus  produce more eggs)

SCORTHOPARTHENISM= "If you score with a toepoke your team mates will think you �re a hen with a mental disorder

Great word Dear SilkeThumbs Up

22 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

Burning down the Parthenon (scorch the Parthenon)

22 Sep 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

where on earth do you find these words ... incredible!! Clap

22 Sep 2010