Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > expressions    

expressions

RenataT.
Brazil

expressions

Hi, teachers!
I need your help, what does work-hard and play-hard mean?
and the expression: Birds of feather ?
If there is any Brazilian teacher that could translate it into portuguese I would be very grateful.. But explanations in english will also help!

thank you guys!

22 Sep 2010      

imelda
Mexico

hi, i think that birds of a feather means people who are the same...because it is usually used as birds of a feather flock together.. im not too sure of the others..
:)

22 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Work hard, play hard is a corporate cultural philosophy that hard work and long hours should be balanced with intense leisure activities (including, for instance sports, parties, and outings).

�Birds of a feather flock together �: This idiom means that people with similar interests will stick together.

22 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I fully agree with Philip, but I wouldn �t limit it to a "corporate cultural philosophy".  In the US it �s used acrossed the entire spectrum.  I �m especially used to hearing it when talking about manual labor jobs or even yard work.  When the "guys" g out and party really hard after having put in many hours of work, it �s a "working hard, playing hard" situation

22 Sep 2010     

alien boy
Japan

I �m with Douglas on this one. In Australia to �work hard & play hard � means to be excelling at what you do for work, along with associated additional effort (like most teachers I know!)  (dare I say it... put in 110% ... go the extra yard...etc) & to put the same amount of effort into their social/leaisure activities!

As far as �birds of a feather � goes, it can also be used when discussing more than just interests. It can be used to mean people of similar temperament, attitudes or opinions will also tend to band together.

Cheers,
AB

22 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

In Canada, the same - "to work hard, play hard" is exactly that... somebody who works as hard as he "plays" (usually meaning partying or socializing) ...

In Spain, we say  ""Dios los hace y ellos se juntan" (God creates them and they find each other/get together.) for "birds of a feather..."  maybe that might help you with the Portuguese saying.

22 Sep 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

"birds of feather flock together" - in Ukraine we say "a fisherman can see another fisherman from afar"Smile
Sophia

22 Sep 2010     

RenataT.
Brazil

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

22 Sep 2010